Pirate AU Part 14

Pink Skies
Chapter 14: Communication

"And then we came here, looking for you because I couldn't let myself move on without knowing if you were okay." Kya finished, taking a sip of the tea she had been given.

"The curse of Davy Jones is certainly interesting... your father never much cared to fully explain it to me. I worry for Tenzin, it's a big burden to carry and I know how he feels about family." Katara responded.

"He'll be okay," Kya reassured her. "But I wanted to ask you about Bumi." Katara's eyes became greyer, and Kya prepared herself for the answer.

"Your brother joined the Navy up north long ago, I haven't seen him since. I received a box with his belongings a couple years ago, but no formal letter of his... end of service. He would have loved to see you Kya, and hear all about this adventure you've been having."

"I know, I wish I could tell him." Kya embraced her mother, and the two of them shared a small moment of grief for their lost loved ones. Katara wiped a tear from her eye before casting a glance out the window.

"Look at the time," she said, "the three of you must be exhausted."

"I could use a nap." Lin said, huddling deeper in the fur blanket she was given.

"I can prepare a room, and we can use the couch-"

"Nonsense," Izumi said, "we are guests in your town, we will act like it. I insist on using the hostel, and paying fairly for it. You have done more than enough for us." Katara looked to Kya who sighed, used to her girlfriend's prestigious behavior.

"Its okay mom, really. You should rest too."

"Actually," Lin said, "do you think you could fit one, or 3. A mother and two kids?" Katara nodded. "She's injured, and I don't want to leave her locked in a room by herself."

"Of course," Katara said.

"But I should warn you she can be... dangerous." Katara laughed, her eyes looking over to a bow and arrow over the fire place.

"You needn't worry, I was a warrior once, just like my brother."

"You have to tell me tomorrow," Kya said, " I want to learn all about our heritage. Like my grandmother, or my great grandmother."

"I've been waiting for someone to ask," Katara replied with a grin. "Now go on, go get settled, I will be here in the morning."

"I'll bring Suyin by in a bit," Lin said.

"Suyin? As in the Pirate Captain?" Lin bit her lip, she forgot they had mentioned her by name in Kya's recap.

"Yes. But she is my sister, and a single mother now. Also she can't talk." Katara gave an "oh" look, but dipped her head.

"See you tomorrow, mom," Kya said, before they put furs on and went outside.

They had greatly mistook the temperature, it was cold during the day but Kya could hardly feel her toes at night, she was relying solely on the heels of her feet.

"I'm going to get Su!" Lin shouted as they passed the dock.

"Be careful!" Kya called back, hooking her arm to Izumi's and walking faster.
They ran through the cold, panting by the time they reached the small building.