Pirate AU Part 5

Pink Skies
Chapter 5: The Prisoner

Lin collapsed in her cot, setting her hat on her stomach.

The Captain, and Kya for that matter, had been gone all day, leaving her to the tedious work of managing a ship.

She had never run anything this size before, before the Ozai's Revenge the largest she had worked on was a Brig.

She had noticed a tear in the sails, and since Shin swore he was afraid of heights, she had to climb to the crows nest to change it.

==================

"I can't go up there, I'm terrified of heights."

"You climbed the mast yesterday."

"Nah, that'd be Ping."

"I can tell you guys apart."

"You haven't been here that long, certainly you're mistaken." Lin sighed, shaking her head and going to ladder. She stuck the needle and thread in her mouth, bracing herself.

"Good luck, mate." Shin sneered.

==================

The only good thing to come out of today was learning the name of their hostage.

Bataar. She had chuckled when she heard it. She had never met someone with a more fitting name.

After fixing the sail she dropped down the mast, brushing her hands off and sticking the needle to Shin.

================

"Next time you deny my orders, I'll remove a finger. Try to fight it and I'll make it a hand."

================

He had laughed at her threat, but he did avoid her the rest of the day, which meant something had gotten through.

The crew hated her. Everyone seemed to think they were more entitled to the role of first mate than she was. She was drifting into sleep when she heard rustling. She opened one eye, seeing Kya slip onto her cot, pulling off her boots.

"Hey," Lin mumbled.

"Hi," Kya replied.

"You were with her for a while, what did she want?"

"Shooting practice." Lin rolled her head, glaring at her.
"She said you'd respond like that."

"You don't need to know how to shoot."Lin explained.

"Lin, you don't have to be so guarded."

"I'm not guarded. It's just an unnecessary skill."

"Fine, then teach me to use a sword." Kya crossed her arms, staring Lin down.

"No." Lin replied shortly. Kya sighed, folding into her cot.

"Then shooting it is."

"Why do have to know how to fight Kya? What are you trying to prove?"

"Lin, are you serious? We are fucking Pirates. We rammed into another ship two days ago. How am I supposed to defend myself?"

"I can defend you!"

"Lin."

"Kya."

"Dont start this."

"Start what?"