Chapter 5: Medjack

Olivia's Pov

Gally hadn't talked to me since the night in the Pit and it's been a week. He hasn't even made fun of me or tried to push me over. Is he ok?

I kept on having those memories/dreams. They were all about my brother, yet I still haven't seen him. We were always playing in the garden, with our parents watching us. We were happy, not a care in the world. At least it's better than the one where my parents were killed.

"Hey, Olivia" I turn around and see Zart.

"Hey. Everything ok?" I ask.

"What job are you thinking of doing? You need to decide today"

"Oh. Um. I'm not really sure at the moment. Why?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to be a Trackhoe like me. It would be fun"

It would? News to me.

"I'll think about it, Zart. Ok?"

Zart is about to answer, when the bell signalling breakfast sounds. I go and sit in my usual seat with Newt and Minho.

"Hey, guys" I say while sitting down.

"Hey. What job are you thinking of doing?" Newt asks me.

"I have no idea. Zart came up to me just before the bell rang and asked me to be a Trackhoe. He seemed really keen on the idea" I explain.

"But you don't want to be a Trackhoe?" Minho is right, as usual.

"Well, what really takes your fancy?" Newt speaks with his mouth full.

"Well I quite liked working with Clint and Jeff. It was better than the other jobs. Clint said I was really good at it too"

"Gally said you were a natural Builder. Obviously he hated admitting that though" I look at Minho in surprise. Did he really just say that? Did Gally think I was good at building?!

"I guess being a Builder would be cool, but there is no way Gally and I will remain civil with each other" I giggle.

"You're right. Well, Medjack sounds like the best option for you. As long as you're ok with that" Newt says.

I nod my head in agreement.

"I'll go tell Clint and Jeff that they're the lucky ones" Newt gets up and leaves since he's finished his breakfast.

"What does he mean by that?" I ask Minho.

"You wanna know why Zart was so keen for you to be a Trackhoe?" I nod my head. "All the boys want you to work with them. Probably so they can spend alll day with you and end up being the lucky fella who gets to call you their girlfriend"

"WHAT?!" I say, shocked.

"Well, with the exception of Gally, of course. He really doesn't want you to become a Builder, which pissed off the rest of the Builders. But if you want to be a Medjack, then Clint and Jeff are nice people. Unlike some boys here, they won't try anything"

I steal a sly look at the other boys and see most of them are staring at me. For shucks sake!

I quickly finish the rest of my food, then head to the Medshack. I'm greeted by Clint and Jeff with a smile and a handshake.

"Glad to have you working with us, Olivia" Clint says.

"I think this is the right job for me" I say.

"Me too" Jeff agrees. "But don't be surprised when a lot of boys come walking through the door. I have a feeling they'll try and hurt themselves just so they can be treated by you"