Chapter 70: Thomas Slays (Literally)

Olivia's POV

I couldn't let them see me like this; black veins bulging all over me, black goo running down my face, me scarcely being able to breathe or move. I couldn't do that to them, especially not to Gally, so I had to leave them, unnoticed.

I collapsed in a nearby building, hoping death would come before I turned into a Crank. I didn't want to become one of those things, but I didn't have anything to put me out of my misery, and I definitely wouldn't be able to drag myself across street after street until I found something.

So this was my fate: hoping and praying for death's claws to rip me from this cruel, unforgiving world and drag me to the afterlife. Maybe there would be better. At least I would be free from this hell-hole.

"Thomas?" Teresa's voice echoed across the city. "Can you hear me? I need you to listen to me. I know you have no reason to trust me, but I need you to come back. Thomas, you can save Newt. There's still time for him. Same for Olivia, who I'm sure you don't know also has the Flare. "There's a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore. It's your blood. Do you understand? She isn't sick, because you cured her. She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back. Then all this will finally be over. Please, just come back to me," she begged. "I know you know the right-" Her voice was cut off as the city lost all electricity.

Gally's POV

Oh shit. I had to find Liv. She was going to fucking die, and it was all my fault. I knew I shouldn't have left her by herself, presuming she would be ok by herself in a city she doesn't know that has descended into complete and utter anarchy.

By now, Minho and I were tantalisingly close to Brenda and the Cure.

When we finally reached her, I knew they would understand me taking a vial and going off on my own to find my girlfriend. Just the two of them would be fine on their own to save Newt.

So from there, I went back to where Liv had disappeared. I searched through building after building nearby, until I eventually found a body slumped against a wall. It was her.

"Oh, no, no, no," I muttered, silently praying she was only asleep. But I had heard Teresa. Olivia was sick. There was no more than a morsel of hope for her. "Baby?" I called. There was no movement.

Panic rose to the surface as I cautiously approached her and crouched down next to her so I was at eye-level.

"Say something, darling. Please." I spoke quietly, softly, as if to a little child. "Liv?"

Her eyes - no longer nothing more than two deep pools of black - stared back at me.

"Fuck," I muttered under my breath. "You alright?" I asked, cupping one her cheeks with my hand.

"Get... away... from... me," she choked out, barely able to form sentences.

"No. No, I'm not leaving you here. Look, I've got some serum. It's gonna make you better. Just hang on a sec." I reached into my pocket that I knew for a fact I put the Cure in.

It was empty.

In a rush, I checked every possible place that it could be, but I didn't have it. How the fuck did I lose it?

I scanned the nearby floor, and saw a small, smashed vial, blue liquid dripping off the glass shards and onto the ground.

"No!" I yelled. "Look, it- it's gonna be ok. You hear me, angel? Everything is gonna be ok. I just need you to hang on for another few minutes so I can get you to the others. They have more serum. You'll be alright then. Can you last a little while more?" I took her hands in mine.