Chapter 61: Pew Pew💥🔫

Third Person's Point of View

The sound of whirring got louder and louder, and they knew that they needed to hide. They ran for cover underneath a slab of rock, and just as the last one was out of side, two big airships flew over them.

"They're never gonna stop searching for us, are they?" Olivia asks once the ships are gone.

As they continued going, Winston got visibly worse. He was lagging behind the group and was coughing and spluttering the whole way.

When they got to the top of a sand dune, Winston collapsed, causing a panic.

Unsure of what else to do, or even what was happening to him, they put him in a make-shift stretcher to carry him.

The storm and the blowing sand increased, to the point where they needed shelter to rest.

Teresa and Thomas went away from the group to talk to one another after the winds had calmed down and everyone was sitting in silence, recovering.

"It's like they're getting further away," Teresa remarked.

"We just gotta keep moving. We're gonna make it," Thomas insisted, tearing his eyes away from the mountains that seemed to taunting them by how close yet how far away they were from the group.

"How's it looking?" Newt called, resting against a bit of a building.

"It's a little further," Thomas replied.

"That's not very convincing," Olivia muttered.

"Hey, what's going on with you?" Thomas asked Teresa, worried about her as she reached for the back of her neck.

"They did something to me." She moved her hair so it wasn't in the way and Thomas had a look at where the girl's hand had been previously.

A strange symbol was there; it was a box with lines and dots on top and underneath it. What the hell did it mean?

"At first, it just felt like I was waking up from a dream or something," Teresa explained. "Then they all started coming back."

"Your memories?" Thomas questioned in disbelief. How was this possible? They had been wiped. Everyone's memories had been wiped.

How did Janson and his team even give them back to her anyway? And why didn't he and Newt and Olivia and everyone else get them too? Were they not worthy or something? Was it just pot luck? It didn't make any sense.

"What do you remember?"

"I remember the first time they brought you in. I was taller than toy then. And faster." The pair chuckled at that part of Teresa's story.

"Ok," Thomas muttered, not believing it.

Her face falls. "And I remember why we were there. We thought we could fix all this." She let those words hang in the air, let them sink into the boy. Teresa debated her next words, not knowing how Thomas would take it. "I think we should go back," she eventually said.

"What?"

"Just- just listen to me-"

"What are you talking about? After everything they've done to us?"

"No, it's not that simple!" Teresa desperately wanted him to understand. Wanted them all to understand. Going back was the right decision. There was no other decision. In reality, what were the odds of finding this so called Right Arm before dying of dehydration or starvation?

"I think it is that simple."

"You don't understand."

"What? What don't I understand?"