Chapter 54: She's a Runner, She's a Trackstar🤪

Third Person's Point of View

The next morning, Alby and Minho went into the Maze to retrace Ben's path and try to figure out where he died. Olivia watched from the comfort and safety of her hut as Newt waved them off.

Once everyone was up, it was decided that Thomas would work as a Track-Hoe that day, with Newt and Zart. Liv noticed how the Greenie was pestering Newt with endless, annoying questions, and felt bad for the second in command.

Eventually, Thomas decided to be helpful and start cutting down the dead tree.

Near the time when Minho and Alby should be arriving soon, heavy rain started pouring down, so everyone ran for safety undercover. Olivia went to Gally, and, seeing that she was already shivering and soaking wet, he enveloped her in a warm hug.

"Do you want to wear my t-shirt?" he offers. "It's pretty much dry and, unlike yours, not see-through"

"But won't you be cold?" Liv asks, not wanting him to freeze to death.

"Don't worry about me, darling. Go stand in that corner. I'll cover you while you get changed. Good that?"

"Yes. Thank you" she smiles, then does what Gally told her to.

"They should be back by now" Thomas observes. "What happens if they don't make it?"

"They're gonna make it" Newt says confidently, despite not completely believing it.

"And what happens if they don't?"

"They're gonna make it" Newt repeats.

Soon enough, the rain clears, so everyone gathers round the Doors. Olivia had given Gally his shirt back and put on a dry one of hers.

When the all too familiar rumbles picked up, everyone knew it was too late. There was still no sign of the Leader or the Keeper of the Runners. It was over.

"Come on, guys, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas suggests.

"It's against the rules" Gally replies. "Either they make it back or they don't"

"Can't risk losing anyone else" Newt adds.

"Oh no!" Chuck exclaims as the Doors start sliding shut. Everyone started panicking, and a few of them look away.

"There!" Thomas points, just as Minho and Alby come into view.

"Wait, no, something's wrong" Newt says.

"COME ON, MINHO, YOU CAN DO IT!" Chuck encourages, as everyone notices Minho is carrying Alby on his back. Cheers and shouts erupt from the rest of the boys; no one wanted to see these two die.

"MINHO, YOU GOTTA LEAVE HIM!" Gally yells.

"They're not gonna make it"

"YOU GOTTA LEAVE HIM!"

Voices became distant echoes and cheers faded into the background as Thomas looked into the Maze. That's when he realised what he had to do.

He started running as fast as he possibly could, ignoring the people that tried to pull him back. His hand reached for the nearest person to him, in hope that they would also come with him.

"HEY!"

"THOMAS, NO!" Chuck shouts.

Thomas and whoever was with him just about made it through the Doors, and they collapsed on the floor. He looked to his side, and saw Olivia.

He was in deep shit now, and not just because of the Grievers; he had a very angry Gally waiting to tear him to shreds on the off chance that he returned. In all honesty, Thomas was currently more scared of the Keeper of the Builders than the monsters, that could be lurking just around the corner, right now.