Chapter 59: The Scorch Trials

Olivia's Point of View

"Gally?" I say in disbelief. I try to go to him, but Teresa stops me.

"Don't" she warns. "He's been Stung" That's when I noticed she was right. His eyes were now nothing more than empty pits of black, and he shook as he desperately tried to overcome the virus that was tearing away at his body. He held a gun tightly in his right hand, but luckily it was pointed at the floor for the time being.

"We can't leave" He shakes his head as he talks. His hands, and the gun, trembles.

"We did. Gally, we're out" Thomas cautiously tells him. "We're free"

"Free? You think we're free out there?" Sobs escape his mouth in between words. "No, there's no escape from this place" He raises the gun.

"Gally, listen-"

"Gal, you're not thinking straight" I interrupt Thomas, knowing that out of everyone here, I was the one most likely to get through to him. "You're not. We can help you. Just put the gun down, ok, darling? Please" I beg him.

He stays silent, trying to process what I just said, so I take this as an opportunity to slowly make my way over to him. Minho and Teresa tried to whisper to me to stay back, but I ignore them.

I slowly place my hand on his cheek, and his eyes that were previously staring off into the distance look at me. I notice that a part of him seemed to return, and he actually knew who I was, so I place my free hand on the arm that the gun was in.

"It's going to be ok" I whisper. "I promise"

"Liv, I'm so sorry" he apologises. "I didn't mean it. Harry lied. He-"

"Shh. It doesn't matter now" Extremely slowly so he wouldn't register what I was doing, my hand on his arm moves down, nearer to the gun. "Forget about that now. You're here, with us, we can go"

"We can't. Don't you see? It's not over. They still have you"

"Who?"

"WCKD" he answers.

"No, baby, look around. WCKD is gone. They can't hurt us anymore"

"They can. They will. Stay with me, Olivia. You're not safe out there. I know that. When I first got Stung, I remembered what happened to the world"

"That's why you didn't want to leave" I figure out. "Why didn't you tell me?" My hand had just reached the gun. Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough.

"No!" he shouts, pushing me back to the group.

"I was just trying to help you!"

"I'm past that"

"What do you mean?"

"I belong to the Maze" he states.

"Gally-" I start.

"We all do"

What came next happened so quickly, I could barely even register it. A gunshot rung out, but everyone seemed fine. It must have missed. That's when I noticed the spear sticking out of Gally's chest.

"Gally!" I scream, rushing over to him. He had already collapsed on the ground by the time I got there, but I placed his head in my lap and stroked his hair. "Please don't go. I'm so sorry. For- for everything. I should have listened to you. I should have been a better girlfriend. But just please, stay with me. Ok? Don't you want to meet your child? They need you. I need you. I love you so much" Tears fall down my face at a rapid rate while I talk, but Gally stayed completely motionless. He was already dead. He didn't hear what I said. Now he would never know. I plant a loving kiss on his forehead, but before I can do anything else, screams and shouts snatch my attention away from Gally.