Chapter 64: The Death Cure

Olivia's POV

It all happened so quickly.

One minute, I was on one of WCKD's trains being moved somewhere, and the next I could hear people running on the roof, gunfire's and people yelling.

Wait.

I knew those yells. As soon as that familiar voice called out for Minho and I, it was obvious Thomas had come to rescue us. How did he manage to find us?

The other children in here with me rattled the chains that bound their hands together and shouted for help, but I remained silence, motionless. I had been trying to fight WCKD for months, ever since they took me, and I had no fight left in me anymore.

More fires were shot as Thomas told Newt to hurry up doing whatever it was that he was doing.

"Almost there," he replied, annoyance evident in his tone.

Our train carriage was harshly lifted off the ground and we were carried away somewhere. God, I hope this isn't a trick. I hope my friends really have come to rescue me. To rescue all of us.

These past six months have been awful; I don't know how much longer I would have survived.

The door was cut in to. Thomas checked on us, but I knew who he was really looking for as he scanned the crowd of the bruised and bloodied that were us.

"He's not here," Thomas sadly informed, disappointment weighing heavily on his shoulder.

"Alright, listen up," Vince said, catching our attention. "I know you've all been through hell. I wish I could say our troubles are over. But we're not through this yet. WCKD's still out there. They're not giving up. Because you've got something they want.

"They took you because you're immune to a plague that's wiping out the human race, and they think you're worth sacrificing to find a Cure. Well, I don't. So in two days, when we get this tug of rust sea worthy," he continued, pointing to a boat, "we're getting the hell out of here. We're gonna take you to a place where WCKD will never find you. A place you can start over. A place you can call home. Are you with me?" People called out cheers of approval.

When the crowd dispersed, I went to find my friends. I just wanted to see some familiar faces other than Minho and Dylan, who had also been taken by WCKD.

"Took you guys long enough to rescue us," Aris remarked when we were all sitting in a building, finally reunited.

"It's good to see you too, bud," Thomas teased. "What happened?"

I zoned out as they carried on talking. I had very recently gotten away from WCKD. I sure as hell didn't want to be transported back to that time so soon.

"What about Minho? Why wasn't he on the train?" Thomas' question managed to break through my thoughts. God, I wish he was here.

"He was," Aris said, guilt showing in his eyes.

~*~

"There, that's it." Thomas placed a map down in front of Vince. "It's a few hundred miles. Based on railways, everything that Aris told us, that's gotta be where they're headed. That's where they're taking Minho. We take everyone who can fight. Follow the roads where we can. We can make it back within a week."

"A week?" Vince clearly didn't believe this. "It took us six months to get here. We got over one hundred kids now. We can't just hang out here forever. After what we just pulled? You wanna wander off to random point on the map? You don't even know what's there."

"I do," Jorge walked towards the group. "It's been a few years but... I've been there. The Last City. That's what WCKD called it. It was their whole base of operations. If that city is still standing, it's the last place you wanna go, hermano. That's the lion's den."