Chapter 16: Saved

Gally's Pov

"What am I doing? I can't just leave her while she gets Banished!" I scold myself, while pacing around my room.

"GALLY!" I hear her scream. Shuck this. I sprint towards her and manage to get to her before anyone can stop me. I wrap her in a tight hug and I can feel her body heave as she cries.

"Shh. It's alright, princess. It's alright" WHAT THE SHUCK?! PRINCESS?! Did I really just call her that?! I'm pulled back to awful reality when I feel a few boys try to peel me off Olivia.

I stay where I am, refusing to let her die.

"Gally! Get back here! It's over! She's getting Banished, and that's final!" Zart yells.

I block out everyone's shouts as I fight off the boys trying to take Olivia off of me.

"Gally" Her sweet voice is the only thing I can hear. I forget all the chaos surrounding us and look at her. "It's ok, Gally. Let me go" she says.

I shake my head. "No. I can't. Do you not realise what will happen if I let go?"

"Of course I do. Keep them safe, ok? Keep them safe and get them out. Promise me that"

"I-I... I can't"

"Please. You must"

"Fine. I promise"

"Goodbye, Gally" She softly kisses me then gets free of my grip.

"NO!" I yell as boys pull me back. "LET ME GO WITH HER! I'M NOT LEAVING HER!"

There's a rumble as the Maze doors start to close.

"POLES!" Alby yells, and they start inching closer to Olivia. She gets pushed closer and closer to the Maze. If she doesn't run soon, she could be squished by the walls.

"ALBY, PLEASE DONT DO THIS! SEAN IS LYING! OLIVIA DIDN'T DO IT! SHE NEVER WOULD! NEWT, TELL HIM!" I scream.

Newt just gives me an apologetic look.

"OLIVIA!" I yell, as the doors slam shut. I see she's still here, in the Glade. Oh thank god. I run to her and hold her tightly. I press our foreheads together then wipe a tear from her cheek.

"Why wasn't I Banished? They could have easily got me in the Maze" she whispers.

"I don't know, but I don't care because you're still here" I cup her face in my hands and press a gentle kiss on her lips.

Alby walks over to us. I let go of Olivia so I can look at him.

"Why?" is all I can ask.

"Why what?" Alby replies calmly, as if the previous events didn't just happen and he wasn't just about to Banish Liv.

"Why didn't you Banish her?"

"You could have very easily" Olivia adds.

"Newt told me what you said. And I think you're right. We need to look into it. All the Keepers, other than Zart, were only pretending to banish Olivia. We had no intention of forcing her into the Maze. Not today, anyway" Alby explains.

"It doesn't make sense. Why didn't you tell Zart? Why didn't you call off the Banishment?" I ask.

"Because we think Zart and Sean are working together to try and do something to Olivia. We're not sure yet, so we want to try and find out before they realise we're onto them"

"Wait. Who's we?" Liv enquires.

"Me, Newt, Minho, Frypan, Clint and Jeff" Alby says.

"I'm sorry" Newt apologises as he approaches us.

"It's ok" Olivia smiles and wraps Newt in a hug. How could she forgive him just like that? Not that long ago, she was screaming and crying. She was scared out of her mind and I was the only person that she trusted. Now her, and pretty much everyone else, are acting like nothing had happened and it's just a normal day. Olivia gives me a look to tell me to apologise to Alby and Newt.

"I'm sorry" I mumble.

"What was that?" Liv asks, knowing Alby and Newt couldn't have possibly heard what I said.

"I'm sorry Alby and Newt. I should have trusted you" I look at the floor while talking.

"It's ok" Alby says then walks away.

"Don't worry about it, mate. You don't even need to apologise. You thought your girlfriend was gonna die, and you acted how anybody else would act in that situation" Newt gives me a warm smile, which both Liv and I return with a shocked look. "What?" Newt says, confused.

"She's not- we're not- she's-" I start, my words making no sense.

"You ok?" Newt nervously laughs.

"I'm not his girlfriend" Olivia says calmly. Now it was Newt's turn to be shocked.

"So what was that just then?!" Newt exclaims.

"We've never really talked about it. We're still trying to figure it out to be honest" Olivia fiddles with her hands.

"Oh. I just thought- Sorry guys" Newt lets out another nervous laugh.

"It's ok" I say, then slither an arm around Olivia's waist. After all that has happened today, I just want her to be close to me.

"What will we do when we find out exactly what Zart and Sean are up to?" Liv asks.

"I don't know. It will probably depend on what it is" Newt shrugs then walks away, probably to find Alby.

"So. Crazy day, huh" Liv loops her arms around my neck.

"That's one word for it" I mutter as I close the distance between our lips. When I pull away, Minho is standing there.

"Am I interrupting something? Again?" he asks.

"Yes!" I say, slightly irritated.

"Sorry!" Minho apologises, then runs off somewhere.

"Come on" I say, taking her hand then leading her to her hut. "I think you could do with a sleep"

"Thanks, Gal" she replies, climbing into bed. I stand there awkwardly, not really knowing what to do or say. "Come here" she instructs, lifting up her duvet so I can lie beside her. I gladly take her up on her offer, and wrap an arm around her waist, pulling her closer to me. "Night" she says, falling asleep.

A/n: Sorry this is short! The next one probably will be too, but after that, the chapters will back to normal length :)

Are you trying to shift to Maze Runner?

Me: yes!! I can't wait until I shift!!

Words: 1044