Chapter 14: Treehouse

Olivia's Pov

I wake up, but fall asleep again quite quickly.

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, DO YOU?" he screams at me.

"You're right. I don't. So help me to understand. Tell me what's going on" I plead.

"IT'S TOO LATE FOR ANYTHING, LIV! NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO TRY AND HELP, IT WON'T WORK! SOON, I'LL BE GONE! THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO, SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST GIVE UP NOW! I WANT TO SPEND MY FINAL DAYS WITH YOU, RATHER THAN YOU GOING GOD KNOWS WHERE TO FIND A GODDAMN CURE THAT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST!"

"I'M SO CLOSE!"

"YOU'VE BEEN SAYING THAT FOR THE PAST THREE MONTHS!"

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T EVEN TRUST ME!"

"WOULD YOU?!"

"No" I eventually say. "But you're my boyfriend. You need to believe me when I tell you that I am so close"

"You know what to do when the time comes" he tells me.

"I can't! You know I can't!" I start shaking my head and crying.

"YOU PROMISED!"

"I guess I'll have to break that promise" I can't look at him in the eyes.

"Wow" he says, venom laced in his tone.

"Liv!" someone else runs into the room and wraps an arm protectively around my waist.

"Oh look! Here's your other boyfriend!" My actual boyfriend rolls his eyes.

"We aren't dating!" I argue.

"I've seen the way he looks at you. The way you look at him. You love him, not me. You never loved me. You were never truly mine. You never could be. You were always his. It's over, Olivia" I watch in horror as he walks away, shutting me up when I try to talk to him.

"I'm sorry" I say to him, his arm still around my waist.

I wake up once again.

"No no no no!" I let out a frustrated groan. I was just about to see who had their arm wrapped around me! I try to get back to sleep to continue with the dream, however, surprise surprise, I can't get back to sleep.

But, something about the feel of his hand around my waist felt familiar. Like it's happened since I arrived in the Maze. Who could it have been?

"Hey, Olivia" Gally scares me as he appears out of nowhere. "You look like you didn't get a lot of sleep last night"

"Cuz I didn't. Am I allowed out of here now?"

"Yeah, that's why I'm here"

"Well could you have started with that?" I giggle, and Gally helps me out.

"Come here. I want to show you something" He quickly looks around, then takes hold of my hand and leads me into the forest.

"Gally, stop! Where are we going?" I say whilst laughing.

"You'll see"

Soon, we reach a treehouse.

"I've never seen this before" I say, admiring it.

"That's because I just finished building it last night. Come on, let me show you around"

I climb the ladder and see there's two hammocks and a blanket fort.

"Gally, this is amazing!" I exclaim.

"I hoped you'd like it"

"I love it!" I beam.

"You can come here whenever you want. If you feel scared, uncomfortable, worried or just want a break from the boys, then I'm keeping this a secret from the rest of the Gladers so nobody will every disturb you" He squeezes my hand.

"But what if someone accidentally discovers it?"

"Nobody comes in this part of the forest. Don't worry"

I hug him tightly. It's a hug that he gladly returns.

"Gally?" I say after a while, breaking the comfortable silence. We were now sitting in the blanket fort, with my head resting on his shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"I've been having the memory things again. But they're getting worse" I tell him. His expression turns serious, and he moves so he's facing me.

"What has happened?"

I tell him every detail of every memory I have had that he doesn't already know about.

"I can barely piece together anything, though. All the memories are jumbled up and with no context, so they're not much use. I don't even know what anyone looks like because I haven't been able to see and everyone's voices are all distorted beyond recognition" I stare down into my lap.

"I'm sure they'll make sense eventually. If you have another, then wake me up, ok? You said you can't get back to sleep, so I'll help you"

I smile gratefully at him. I'm so glad we get along now.

"What are we gonna do about the new Greenie, though?" I ask.

"I'll make sure nothing happens"

"But what if something does happen?"

"Then I'll beat the klunk out of him. I'll hurt him so bad he'll nearly be dead" I look into his eyes and see that he means it.

"Gally, you'll get Banished!" I hold onto his hand.

"Well I wouldn't kill him. Just seriously maim. So I don't think I will get banished. Just put in the Pit for a while"

"You will be Banished, and you know it! I don't want that happening"

"I guess I'll just have to do a really good job of protecting you" he mutters, while leaning in for a kiss.

I hold onto the back of his neck and he places his hands on my cheeks. When we pull apart, I giggle.

"I need to get back to my job now, Liv. You do too. See ya" Gally quickly kisses my cheek, then leaves.

"This boy needs to calm down with the kisses and stuff" I mutter. "We've only just told each other we liked each other, like bruh" I follow Gally about ten minutes later, to avoid suspicion in case anyone saw us leave the forest together.

~Two Weeks Later~

"Hey, Frypan!" I say cheerily as I reach the kitchen.

"Oh. Hey, Olivia" His tone is flat. What happened?

"Everything alright?"

No response.

"You ok?"  I ask.

Still no response. What's going on?

"Fry, have I done something?"

"Yeah, actually. The stunt you pulled with the Greenie at the Bonfire was not cool! He's scared, Olivia! Why the shuck did you even do that?!"

"Frypan, you know me! Would I ever do that?! The Greenie is lying! He's the one that kissed me and then threatened me!" I explain. Why is he just now getting mad over it? It makes no sense!

He doesn't say anything, he just starts preparing breakfast so I do the same. He makes no effort to talk to me. This isn't the Frypan I know. What else had the new shank said about me?

Before I know it, the boys are queuing up to get their food. They all give me dirty looks; the Greenie has clearly said really bad things about me because the whole Glade hates me! When Gally reaches the front, he gives me a tiny smile then goes and sits down. When everyone else has their food, I go to Newt and Minho.

"Hey!" I plonk down next to Newt. Maybe these two wouldn't hate me?

"You're going to be banished at sundown" Minho tells me gravely.

What job would you want to have in the Glade?

Me: Runner or Medjack

Words: 1200