Chapter 35: Last Minute Rescue

Olivia's Pov

"Newt, please! Give Gally one more chance!" I beg, fresh tears streaming down my face.

"Woah! Calm down, Liv. It's not time yet" Newt says as he unlocks the door. "Come on" He motions for us to get out.

I do, and grip onto Gally's hand tightly.

"I have something to show you" He starts walking away, obviously wanting us to follow him.

I share an uneasy look with Gally, then start walking.

"Took you bloody long enough" Newt remarks when we arrive.

"What do you want to show us?" I ask, wanting to get straight to the point.

"Here" He hands Gally a camera.

"What?" I mutter. "How the hell do you have this?" I question.

"Came up in the Box a while ago. I never know why we keep it a secret, but it was Alby's call" he explains.

"Why are you showing us this?"

"I thought Gally would want a photo of you for when he goes into the Maze so he can calm himself down or whatever" Newt obviously doesn't seem so sure of his idea anymore.

"Thank you" I look over at Gally and see he's smiling.

"You're welcome" Newt replies. "I'll take the photo for you, if you want" he offers.

Gally nods.

"Do you want just Olivia to be in the photo, or do you want to be in it too? Do you want the photo to be taken in a specific place, or just here. Do-"

"You don't need to shucking interrogate him" I snap. "It's just a photo! Why does all this shit matter?" I roll my eyes and start walking out, but Gally grabs hold of my arm.

"Please" he asks earnestly.

"Fine" I grumble.

"Thank you" He kisses my cheek.

Gally chooses to have the photo taken in our treehouse, and have just me in it. Newt takes the photo, and hands it to Gally. He folds it up and puts it in his pocket.

"Come on. Time to go back to the Pit. The Banishment will be happening in an hour or soon" Newt pats Gally on the back as he takes us back.

"So. Last hour" Gally says, stating the obvious. I look at him and see his shoulder are slumped and he's staring off in the distance. Any bit of hope of being allowed to stay here that he was holding onto before has now gone.

Then an idea hits me.

Ella.

I know she would never kill anyone. I need to find out what Alby said to her, and explain what he really meant.

"HEY!" I yell, holding onto the bars. "SOMEONE!"

Minho's face appears.

"You ok?" he asks.

"I wanna get out" I say.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

"Alright, alright. Don't get your panties in a twist. Be right back. I just need to get the keys" Minho runs off, then returns shortly after. I don't look or try to talk to Gally when we're alone, knowing that he would be hurt by me suddenly wanting to leave.

When I'm out, I run off in search of Ella. A few of the boys try to talk to me, but I ignore them. I could save Gally, and that's more important than somebody asking if I'm ok or whatever.