it's okay to not be okay

Natasha:
I've noticed that lately, Y/N hasn't been herself. She has alway been incredibly hard on herself and never shows the same empathy to herself that she does to others, and it worries me.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed her starting to decline mentally. She tried to hide it, but being her mother and also a trained assassin, not much gets past me. Especially when it comes to my daughter.
I've tried getting her to talk, but she keeps trying to convince me that she's fine.

It's currently one in the afternoon and Y/N still hasn't come out of her room, which is quite unlike her. It is a Saturday so she usually sleeps in, but never this late.

After deciding that I wanted to check on her, I went upstairs and knocked on the door. "Y/N, it's mama. Can I come in?" I ask. I heard her groan so I let myself in.

The room was dark and she was still in bed, the covers pulled right up to her neck. "Are you okay sweetheart?" I cooed. "I'm fine." She mumbles.

I made my way over and sat on the bed next to her. Y/N shuffled closer and wrapped her arms around me. "What's wrong дорогой?" I ask. "I don't know." She admits. "Is there anything going on in that head of yours that you want to talk about?" I ask softly. "No." Y/N mumbled. "Okay. But when you want to talk, never hesitate to come to me." I assure her and she nods against my chest.

We sat there together for a while before I eventually got up. "Where are you going?" She whines. "I'm letting some fresh air into the room and then you and I are going to go out for some food." I tell her. "I don't want to go out and be around people today." Y/N tells me. "Okay, then we can go for a walk. But I'm going to get you out of bed today if it's the last thing I do."

I pulled the covers off of her and threw some clothes at her. "Get dressed."
"Please don't make me, I don't feel like it today." She says. "I tell you what, you get out of bed and get changed. We can go for a walk and if in an hour you still want to be in bed, we can come back and watch movies together. But getting out for a bit might make you feel better. Deal?" I reason with Y/N. She sighs heavily before deciding, "Fine."

•••

Y/N and I decided to walk just around the compound. It wasn't far but I was just happy that I was able to get her out of bed.
Most of the time we walked in a comfortable silence, occasionally exchanging a few words.

"I don't know why I feel sad all the time." Y/N admitted to me. "I know it sounds stupid, but it feels like there's this constant weight on my chest and I feel like I can't breathe." She continued. "That doesn't sound stupid at all sweetheart," I assured her, placing my hand on her back. "You don't always need a reason to be sad. Sometimes it just happens and it's okay to not be okay." I say.

"I just feel like a failure and a disappointment all the time. Like nothing I do is ever good enough, and it's so exhausting." She cries. We stopped walking and I pulled her into a hug. "Y/N honey, you know that's not true? You are such an amazing young woman and trust me when I say, you are good enough. And I'm sorry if I've ever made you feel like anything less." I tell her. "You haven't, but I just feel all this pressure from society to be happy all the time, because I know how much I have to be grateful for and how lucky I am, but sometimes everything feels like too much and I don't know how to cope." Y/N sobs into my chest.

"Oh детка," I sigh, "That doesn't mean you're not allowed to be sad though. You're still human and you're sixteen years old Y/N. There's going to be times in your life where you feel like you're on top of the world, and then there'll be times like this. When everything feels to much and all you want to do is stay in bed, and that's okay because that is a part of life. Sometimes you just need to learn to say 'Fuck you' to the world because truthfully, nobody really knows what they're doing." I say, rocking her side to side slightly whilst running my fingers through her hair.

"You are the most kind hearted and beautiful person I've ever know sweetheart and you are way more than enough so please, never forget that. But if you do, I'll always be here to remind you." I tell her. "Thank you mama." She smiles, pulling away from the hug as I wipe the tears from under her eyes.

"Do you want to go watch a movie now?" I ask. "Yes please." She says.

——————

a/n: I had started writing this a couple weeks ago and forgot about it... I don't know if I like it because I wanted to finish it because I had a crappy day and wanted fluffy mama Nat