my hero

warnings: it's just sad, I'm sorry in advance. I needed to cry. the ending is happy though :)
a/n: based off that one stranger things scene...
age: 12

Y/N:
Today we had a class presentation on heroes. Well historical heroes to be exact, but I couldn't think of who I wanted to make it about, so I chose my mom instead.

It's been six months since she died. I only went back to school a couple of weeks ago and this is the first presentation I've done in a long time.

I always get really nervous when I have to talk in front of other people, but my mom would always give me the best pep talks and advice so I tried to hold onto that today.

When the teacher called my name, I stood up from my desk and walked to the front of the classroom.

"Hi," I speak quietly. "For uh, for my hero I chose—I chose my mom. And for my visual aid, I made a diorama of our home in Budapest."

I could see a few people pull faces and giggle a little bit, but I tried to ignore it.

"This is my mom. Her name is Natasha Romanoff," I say, holding up the little mini figure I made of her in her black widow suit. "She is—was the best mom in the world. She made me laugh and she was the best at braiding hair. Every Friday night, we would have a movie night together and order way too many pizzas," I start to cry a bit, but I quickly wipe away my tears before anyone can notice.

"This, is my auntie Yelena," I add, holding up her mini figure. "She takes care of me now. She brought a dog to keep us company when we are sad about my mom. She also makes the best Mac and Cheese. But then she puts hot sauce on it and it ruins it," I chuckle a bit.

I notice Flash has raised his hand. "Flash, let's save questions until the end of the presentation," My teacher tells him.

"Sorry. I'm just like, confused. I thought this was meant to be a presentation about a historical hero?" He remarks.

"My mom was an Avenger," I defend myself. "She is a hero. She saved half the universe. She was my hero."

Peter, Ned and MJ are looking at me reassuringly but I can't help but see the judgement from everyone else.

"That's not what I was saying, at all. I just wanted to be clear on the rules of the assignment," Flash speaks. "Well, technically you are correct Eugene, but Y/N has chosen to do her mom," My teacher smiles softly.

I don't even realise that I'm crying until the saltiness of my tears reach my mouth.

"Please, continue Y/N," She advises. I turn to look back at her and shake my head. "May I be excused?" I question shakily. She nods with a sad smile.

When I exit the classroom, I throw my diorama into the trash and go to the bathroom.

I splash my face with water and use toilet paper to blow my nose before I take out my phone and call Yelena.

After a few rings, she picks up. "Yelena, I need you to come and get me. Please," I sob.

•••

My eyes shot open and I gasp for air. Oh my god, it was just a dream. It wasn't real.

I burst out into tears and get out of bed and run into my moms bedroom. She isn't there.

I run through the compound and into the common room. "Where's my mom?" I ask Steve and Wanda who are sitting on the couch. "Woah kid, you okay?" Steve questions. "I-I just want my mom. Where is she?"

"I think she's in the lab with Tony."

I nod, and run back upstairs to the lab.

When I see my mom talking to Tony, I immediately cry harder in relief and wrap my arms tightly around her.

"Detka, what happened?" She asks concernedly. "I had a dream that you died. You can never die! Please!" I sob, harder than I ever have before.

"Oh sweetheart, come here," She says softly, picking me up. My legs wrap around her waist as I bury my head into the crook of her neck.

"Promise me you won't die."

"Sweetheart, I'm not going anywhere for a very very long time," She assures me.

"You pinky promise?" I ask, lifting my head up slightly and holding out my pinky.

"I pinky promise," She smiles softly, locking our pinkies together.

"Now what do you say to pizza and a movie?" She offers. I nod and smile. "Alright, let's go downstairs then."

"I love you mama."

"I love you too, detka. So so much."

________
A/N: I gave you a happy ending, so please don't hate me :)
Not proofread