Chapter 36

As she picked up the envelope that fall from the notebook, Hanni placed the book on her table as she was holding onto the envelope with her both hands before she read what's written at the front of it

She couldn't contain her smile as you've written 'To Hanni Pham, my best friend.' but soon her smile began fading slowly as she read your name at the bottom corner of the envelope. Breathing out slowly as her heart's calm and feeling peaceful, Hanni carefully opened the envelope as she took out a couple of folded papers.

As the papers were unfolded, her heart was so relieved to see your handwriting after such a long time. As she carefully straightened the papers, her eyes immediately read the letter you've written for her after breathing out a long one.

"To my best friend, Hanni Pham.

If this letter ever reaches you, I just want to say that I am sorry for doing what I did. I probably have no idea how long it's been since I've written this letter before it gets to you, could be on your birthday, could be weeks after, could be months even years. But I just want you to know that no matter how long it's been, you're always will be on my mind.

And I just want to wish you a happy birthday and if it's already passed your birthday then, happy belated birthday Hanni. I really wished I'd stayed for another day just so we could have that food hunting the night of your birthday like we always do.

And on top of that I'm really sorry for hiding the fact that I'm going over to Australia from you. But I needed this. I know I couldn't stay back home at that moment because of a lot of things but all of it were just leading to one reason and that I don't want to be the reason you're not happy with your life and I just had to go away. I needed the time, time to rest, time to sit back, time to heal myself.

I'll be back by June as of next year 2024, and if it's already passed June the moment you're reading this then you'd probably had seen me around in Uni but if it hasn't, then I'll be back next year, hopefully healed and back to my usual self again. I also hoped that I'll be ready to face you again when the time comes.

I hope everything's going good between you and Jun. I hope that he's been treating you well like you deserved to be treated. I don't want to write too much about him because this letter is about you.

I'm sure you already know by now but I'm just going to write this again... I love you Hanni. I really, really, really do. To be able to hold onto these feelings I have for you for years, I don't know how and why I'm still able to live another day but I believe there's no other reason other than you Hanni.

I'm sure you'll start questioning when did it actually start so I'll just tell you the truth in this letter.

Hanni Pham, I still remember that night by the camp fire during high school, the three of us were sitting around the camp fire, me, you and Yongbok along with a couple other students. We were making smores as the night's calm and warm. Minji wasn't there because she only transferred to our school the next year.