What Just Happened...

The rest of that afternoon hadn’t ended up being that productive after realizing they were going to need more clay for the animal cell project. They hadn’t wasted complete time as they did make some of the pieces that were going to fit for the insides of the model. Peter was starting to enjoy Wade as a friend more that day as late afternoon approached them. He was finally getting past the childhood memory that separated him apart from Wade in the first place. All that was over with and he felt like a new friendship could be beginning. The time came that day where Wade had to leave and Peter was left home alone. He had offered if maybe Wade wanted to spend the night, but Wade declined, telling Peter he already had plans that night.

Peter made his way into the living room and sighed, not knowing what to do or when anyone was going to be home. He fell backward onto the couch and let his hands rest behind his head as he thought of what to do. Just as he sat up, deciding to watch a movie, his phone started to ring from inside his pocket. He pulled the phone from his pocket and saw it was his dad. “Hey,” Peter answered as he stood up, wanting to go make some popcorn. “Peter!?” Steve’s voice was on the other end and sounded worried but relieved at the same time. “What?” Peter asked, wondering what his dad wanted. “Oh my God. Are you okay? I just got the call from Jane saying the others had to go on a mission. I would’ve gotten the call earlier but my phone was on the jet and we just got back. Is everything okay? Did you and Wade work on your project?” Peter rolled his eyes, knowing that this should’ve been expected from Steve. “Dad. I’m fine. I’m sixteen remember? Yes, Wade came over and we worked on our project. He just left a little bit ago and I was just going to watch a movie until you guys get home.” He entered the kitchen and headed over towards the cupboard to the right of the fridge. As he held his phone to his ear, he opened the cupboard and reached for a pack of microwave popcorn. His dad sighed in relief as he heard his other dad in the background, “Steve, I told you he’d be fine. Chill out.” Peter smiled to himself, thankful that one of his parents was cool enough. He took the plastic off the bag of popcorn and opened the microwave, placing the popcorn the right side up and set the timer.

“Okay well, I just was checking in to make sure everything went good. It’s around 4 pm there, right?” Peter nodded to himself, “Yep, when do you think you’ll be back?” he asked. “Well, we have one more thing to take care of and then we’ll be heading back so probably… I’m guessing around midnight or sooner around that time.”  

“Okay,” Peter watched the time on the microwave count down as he heard the popcorn start to pop. “Yep well, I just wanted to call and check in. Oh! Peter! Did you take your pill!?” his dad asked as Peter realized he totally forgot about that. He paused momentarily before responding, “Yes dad, I take it every single day. It’s hard to forget not to.” He decided against telling his dad the truth, not wanting to stress him out any more than he already was. “Alright good, well, we have to go so we’ll see you later okay?” Peter stopped the microwave right before it hit 1 second so the annoying beeping wouldn’t go off. “Okay, love you, bye.” he said as he clicked open the microwave. “Bye, love you.” Peter heard the other end of the line go silent and he slid his phone back into his pocket. The scent of butter popcorn filled the room and Peter looked near the sink at his pills. He had completely forgotten, but there were no effects showing that he forgot. He had learned about the effects that come from a severe lack of vitamin D and he hadn’t received any. The only thing he noticed strange was when Wade was about to throw clay at him he had gotten a strange sensation as if he knew Wade was throwing it at that very moment, but he had ignored that.

Peter just decided that one day without taking his pills would be fine. He opened the popcorn bag and then headed back into the living room, carrying it with him. He sat on the couch getting comfortable with a blanket and held the popcorn. “Dammit.” Peter sighed, seeing that the remote was resting on the coffee table in front of him. He had just gotten comfortable and now he had to restart. He reached his arm out lazily, pretending to use the force, wishing the remote would just magically float over into his grasp. He pretended to concentrate and stuck out his hand toward the  remote.