Let's Talk About Pills

After school that following Monday, Peter told his dads he was staying after in the library to catch up on some math. He easily told them that he just wasn't understanding a few problems. It took a long time to convince Tony to let him stay. Tony knew Peter's grades and knew his math skills were exceptionally well- along with all his other classes. He didn't believe Peter was not understanding his math for one second but agreed anyway, trusting he wasn't going to do anything stupid. Peter obviously was not staying after school for math. He could complete his math homework in his sleep. What he was doing, was heading down to the pharmacy like he had planned to figure out what his pills were meant for.

He started to leave immediately after the final school bell rang. Quickly grabbing his things from his locker, he shut it and turned around. "Where you headed in sucha' hurry?" Peter almost ran into Wade and it seemed like this was always going to be the way they met up in hallways. "Wade, you always just pop out of nowhere." Wade walked with Peter as Peter continued to make his way outside. "I have to go to the pharmacy." Peter didn't want to tell Wade the exact reason why. "What, why?" Wade asked confused, "Do you take pills or something?" Peter pushed the front school doors open, walking by all the other students. "Something like that," Peter didn't directly answer Wade's question. "Okay, well I'll see you tomorrow then?" Wade asked, knowing that Peter probably wanted to be alone. Peter nodded in return and waved goodbye as Wade left him and turned the other way.

He walked alone down the busy streets of Manhattan as people bustled by. He found the closest pharmacy on his phone and that was exactly where he was headed to. Peter crossed one street to the next. He looked up and saw the CVS Pharmacy that he was going to just down the street. He adjusted his backpack and heard the pill bottle rattle in his sweatshirt pocket as his fast pace reached the front door. He swung it open and almost bumped into a woman as she was walking out with a small white bag. "Sorry," Peter smiled politely, trying not to act at all suspicious. He made his way to the pharmacy counter, passing by the other aisles of your daily needs. When he stood near the pharmacy counter he had to wait behind three other people, a teenage girl trying to pull off her age as old as she could- probably trying to get some pregnancy pills, an elderly lady waiting impatiently for her prescription, and a younger man late twenties to early thirties, filling out a form for his prescription.

As the man finished up, the teenage girl who was in front of him walked over to what Peter assumed was the pharmacist as the pharmacist technician tried to keep the elderly lady from growing too impatient while they searched for her pills.

seconds turned into minutes as the pharmacist technician finally managed to complete the senior's order and have her correctly fill the right things out. The older lady tried not to act too annoyed with things not going as fast as she would've liked and said goodbye with a 'thanks' and a smile. "Thank you, and have a good rest of your day." the technician said and she looked at Peter, "And what can I help you with?" She tried to put out her most positive smile and Peter appreciated it, knowing that she was probably tired enough as it was. "Hi, um, I know I'm underage and I'm not here to order anything or things like that, but I was just wondering, can you identify certain pills on what they are used for?" Peter tried not to make this a difficult process. The woman slightly tilted her head, "Like taking a pill and figuring out its direct usage?" she clarified and Peter nodded. "Yes, I mean it takes a few weeks to send it to the people who dissect the pill in the chemistry labs but I suppose it is possible, why?" Peter was hoping he wouldn't have to explain in detail but deep down knew he would've had to, "Well, my parents, they have me take these certain pills every day because they say it's for my severe lack of vitamin D. They always stress that if I forgot to take them bad things will happen but on a weekend where they were called out of town for their jobs, I forgot one morning and nothing related to having a severe lack of vitamin D happened. I did some research and I just don't think that that's the purpose of these pills." At that, Peter pulled out the container of his pills and set them in front of him. The woman nodded slowly and looked at the container. "So because you forgot to take your pills for one day and you didn't receive any effects, you assume your parents are lying behind your back?" Peter realized how stupid it actually sounded.