Optimistic Thinking

Peter sat on his bed after he got home and unfolded the white paper that the woman at the pharmacy had given him. He started to read it top to bottom and it told him that the pills were used, like he assumed, to suppress outbreaks of any type of DNA mutations. It also said that the pills were strong in what they carried, suggesting that it was used to hold back more than just one mutation, which for Peter, meant there was another ability he yet hadn't discovered.

The further he read, the more he felt like his family betrayed him, not just his dads, but all the other Avengers, they all had lied to him his whole life.

Before he had gone to the pharmacy, he already knew that they lied to him, but now having a confirmed document describing the pills, it really seemed to hit him. He was more angry and upset than he had been before and knew it was going to be difficult for him to not show it.

There was a knock at his door and Peter quickly crumpled the paper up in his hand and closed it around his fist, moving his hand closer to behind his back so it would be less noticeable. Just as he moved his hand his dad opened the door and just leaned in slightly, "Hey, Pops is making dinner and it should be ready soon," he said, watching Peter. Peter just nodded and he felt the urge right then and there to bring up his pills, but held himself back, "What are we having?"

"He made lasagna and he's just giving it time to cool down." Tony replied, noticing Peter's fisted hand, "What's that?" he pointed toward it and Peter lifted his hand up, holding out the ball of paper, "Oh, this? Just a math test that I didn't do so great on."

Tony walked further into Peter's room, standing next to the door, "Really? What'd you get on it?"

"B-."

Tony raised his eyebrows, "What? I don't think I've seen you get a B- since 7th grade, and that was when the teacher made a mistake in the grading. Here, let me see it," Tony was about to go grab the crumpled ball of paper when Peter defensively closed his fist again, "No!" Tony creased his brow in confusion and Peter realized he came off somewhat violently,"I mean, I know what I did wrong. I just forgot to show my work on a few things."

Tony still held his eyebrows low and nodded slowly, "Okay then..."

"Dinner!" The both of them heard Steve shout from the kitchen and Peter stood up off his bed, placing the wrinkled ball of paper into his open backpack pocket on the floor.

--

Dinner went by as normal as always and afterward, it was Peter's main priority to figure out what other ability he hadn't discovered yet. He remembered that discovering his webs was on total accident and he had to figure out how to work them once they were discovered.

He just needed to figure out how to activate the other power, how difficult could it be?

--

*3 am*

Peter stood in his room, pacing back and forth, going crazy that he couldn't figure it out.

No matter what he thought of, he had no idea how he was going to figure it out. Who knows if he was even going to be able to control it. Or maybe there wasn't another ability. Maybe Peter just was overthinking everything.

It was so early in the morning and Peter was starting to become extremely tired and angry.

He walked over to his desk crowded with papers and leaned his backside against it, resting his palms on top of some papers behind him, shifting his weight into his arms and taking a deep breath, trying to clear his mind and relax. He leaned his neck back and stared at his ceiling.

Peter opened up his mind and focused on trying to activate whatever ability was hidden, if there was one.

A few minutes passed and he still felt nothing so decided he might as well give up and let it come to him at a random time like the webs, "Dammit," he muttered disappointingly. As he stood up, leaning off his desk, his jaw dropped as he saw his hands.

The papers that his palms were resting on from his desk were now sticking to his hands. He smiled and then started laughing. He took the papers off each of his hands and each time he did so, they stuck to his fingers. "Oh my God," Peter continued to laugh, "I got it." He realized that if he wanted this to remain secret, he'd have to shut up, not wanting to wake his parents.

He stopped laughing and just pressed his lips together, still smiling widely.

He noticed that there was now a commonality between both powers, they were the main abilities that spiders happened to have, which struck him as odd. Maybe there was a connection, and after all, there had to be some reason as to why he had these powers in the first place. Maybe he could mention it to his dads, but in a way where it wouldn't give himself away about knowing his abilities.

Either way, he wasn't concerned about that right now. He had powers that no ordinary person had and he could use them to his advantage. Just thinking about the things he could do overwhelmed Peter with joy and optimism about the things to come.

-----

author's note

yeah sorry for the short chapter but now it's getting to the part where peter thinks about being a hero and all that stuff so just bear with me :)

-sorry for any grammar/spelling errors lol

(comment&vote!)