Midnight

August

Peter never saw himself actually enjoying the way marijuana made him feel- he never saw himself getting near drugs in the first place. But it happened, Wade happened... all of this stuff happened that he didn't plan for. Smoking with Wade took off the stress from at home... the tense feeling between his parents, the whole hero act thing. Being with Wade and being Spider-Man were the only things that made him happy now. It used to be doing other things like trying to fix circuit boards or even spending evenings with the Avengers, but those stopped happening. He wasn't himself anymore... he was changing.

--

"What was it you said you wanted for dinner?" Steve walked out into the living room where Peter was watching the television. Peter looked over at his dad, "It doesn't really matter to me, pop."

"Well would you go ask your father, I don't want to go down and distract him..."

"Sure." Peter sighed and on the inside just wished things would go back to normal. He got up off the couch and walked over to the door to his dad's lab. He punched in the passcode and the door unlocked, allowing him to head down. He put his hands in his pockets and walked down the spiral staircase.

He saw the second set of doors to the lab and knocked on the glass, seeing his dad working on something unknown to him through the other side. Tony looked up and set down his screwdriver and grabbed for a towel, wiping his hands. He opened the door for Peter, who just slouched against the doorway, "Dad wants to know what you want for dinner."

"And of course he had you come down to ask..." Tony scoffed, "Well I don't really care."

"He was going to come down and ask... he just asked me because he was busy cleaning the kitchen." Peter lied, defending Steve.

"Whatever, doesn't matter, dinner can be up to you." Tony started to head back to his project.

"Are you and dad going to work things out?" Peter knew he should've just left but he had to ask. Tony turned back around, looking at his son. He sighed and rubbed his hand over his face, "It's complicated... we're trying, we really are."

Peter couldn't rest with that answer, "But if you're really  trying, why are you down here? Why aren't you upstairs with me and pops? You keep coming down here and I don't even think that you're working on something that's important."

Tony knew that Peter was right, "Son, you just don't understand, okay?"

Peter stood up straight now from leaning in the doorway, "Whatever, but just know that all of this, this whole situation, it isn't only affecting you both..." He didn't say anything else before turning around to head back upstairs.

----

9:30 PM

Peter told his parents he was going to Wade's for the night to help him study for his summer-school finals. He wasn't. He left the mansion and headed into town.

He had his newly modified suit on underneath his ordinary clothes and his mask in his backpack around his shoulders. He walked down the busy streets of Manhattan and remained invisible by the people passing by. He found a decent alley to stash his pack in and headed down. It was getting dark as it usually did, but at a slower rate due to the summer weather.

He stood against the building wall in the shade away from the busy streets and quickly took off his clothes and shoes, shoving them into his backpack and setting it behind the large dumpster. He looked around once more before he quickly started to climb up the brick wall. He avoided the windows and clothing lines in his way and lifted himself over the ledge to the rooftop. Thankfully it was empty except for a few pigeons.