Baby Peter

Steve held the baby close to his chest as he ran out of the evacuated Oscorp building. As he ran outside, Coulson ran over to him, "Quick, where's the survivor." He looked around Steve and then saw the blue blankets in his arms. Coulson gestured for Steve to hand over the baby.

"Parents?" Coulson asked as he stared down at the whimpering child. Steve shook his head, just as Tony flew down and landed next to him. "You all good?" He asked checking up on Steve, making sure he got out all right. "I'm fine," Steve shrugged him off and watched as Coulson started to walk away with Peter.

Tony saw Steve staring and flipped up his helmet, "What is it? And where's the person you got out?"

Steve looked at Tony, "Peter, Coulson took him. He was just a baby. He would've died in probably a matter of minutes if I hadn't found him." Steve started going on about Peter, something didn't feel right as he watched Coulson take the baby to the hospital. He felt like Peter was his responsibility now. Like he was their responsibility now.

"Steve." Tony said, wanting Steve to shut up about the kid, "It's fine, he will go to the hospital and then be reunited with his parents. Good job saving him, is that what you want to hear?"

Steve squinted his eyes at Tony, giving him the, 'are you serious right now' look. Tony caught on, "No, like I didn't mean it in an arrogant way, I just mean that we save people all the time, ya know?"

"Tony. Peter is an orphan okay? His parents died in there. The reason why they were there, I have no idea, but they happened to be there when the explosion happened and they were crushed. They even left a note." Steve remembered that the note had fallen into the fire on the way out but remembered the last words perfectly,

 We leave our son in your hands

"Well I'm sorry, but what can we do about it. You wanna adopt him or something? These things happen and it's just the way it's gotta be." Tony rested a hand on Steve's shoulder.

"I just... I just feel like we need to help him."

Tony sighed and looked at the ground, "There is nothing we can do Steve. Look, I have a stupid thing with Pepper at Stark tower and I gotta get going, I'll see you at the mansion later okay?"

Steve just stared ahead of him, slightly nodding. He leaned in and let Tony kiss him on the cheek before he flew off. Steve just stood for a few moments, wondering what to do next. The noise of the burning building and screams surrounded him before he took off towards the Shield car.

"Coulson, is Peter at the hospital? Where are you?" Steve spoke on his phone as he drove through traffic. "Peter? Oh right, the baby. We have him at the Shield hospital, it was easier that way. This child, Peter, he won't stop crying." Coulson replied. "Okay well I'm coming, I'll be there in five."

-

"He's in there right now. The doctors say he's fine. I suppose after this I'll be taking him to the orphanage." Phil crossed his arms and looked up at Steve.

Steve looked at Coulson,

"Ah, excuse me agents, there is something you might want to see." The door opened and Steve could hear the baby crying loudly over the doctor who was speaking to them. "What is it?"

Steve and Coulson followed the doctor into the room and Steve saw baby Peter, laying down and kicking at the air on a baby scale. He walked over and stood over him. Peter looked up and saw Steve and the tears stopped flowing and the cries went silent. Coulson and the doctor both raised their eyebrows as they saw the baby's reaction towards Steve.

"Thank God, he wouldn't stop crying." The doctor laughed, "Anyway, as I was saying, well, he seems fine, a perfectly healthy baby, but when we examined his body for any wounds of sort, we found a small bite."

"What kind of bite?" Steve asked, letting Peter grab onto his fingers. "Well I don't know how this could've happened, but it appears to be some type of spider bite."

Steve looked up, remembering the spider that had crawled out from Peter's blankets, and the test lab that the spiders had crawled out from. He just simply nodded as the doctor held his clipboard. "But really, other than that, Peter seems fine and healthy."

The doctor had managed to find a onesie that somewhat fit Peter and they wrapped him up in a new green blanket. The doctor was about to throw away Peter's old blue blanket when Steve stopped him, "No. Here, let me take that, I'll wash it for him. It's the only thing he has left that is a part of his parents."

The doctor gave him the dirty blue blanket and Steve looked at Peter, who was now asleep in Coulson's arms.

-

"Well, I better be off then." Coulson said as they started to leave the hospital. "No." Steve said without thinking. "What do you mean?" Coulson stopped outside his Shield vehicle. 'Tony's going to kill me' Steve thought before speaking again, "Let me take him back to the mansion."

"Captain Rogers? You can't just take a baby home with you. There are forms and have you even considered what Stark will say to this? A baby is a living thing and needs tons of care. More care than you will ever know."

"Just, just let me take him home. I'll get all the stuff and we can keep him there until we figure out what to do." Steve said, longing to have Peter in his arms.

"How is that any different than an orphanage?" Coulson said, trying not to wake Peter.

"Please Coulson? You can trust me on this. It's just a gut feeling, I don't want Peter going to that orphanage."

Coulson sighed and shook his head, "God dammit fine. But only for awhile until you've considered what you're going to do. I mean, if you're thinking about adopting him... there are forms and legal things you gotta go through."

Steve's heart fluttered at the thought and let Coulson give him the baby. "Okay, I can't believe I'm doing this, but here. You take him back to the mansion and just let me run to the store and I'll get everything you'll probably need."

"Thanks Coulson, you're the best, I mean it."

Steve took Peter and Coulson gave him a baby car seat that the doctor had given them to put him in.

Steve watched as Coulson drove away and settled Peter in the car seat and closed the door.

What was he getting himself into? Tony was going to hit the wall.

Something was going to change in their lives.