On the Walls

*one year later*

 Peter was 18 months old and things had finally begun to shift into shape. Steve and Tony had gone through some of the most stressful moments of their lives but with the help of all the others in the mansion things had turned out pretty successful so far. Peter had already started walking and he showed well advanced skills for a child. The only thing he was behind on was talking, which was what they were currently working on. Bruce had been doing his checkups on Peter and they extended the appointments to once a month, considering nothing new had popped up since the webs awhile back

 "C’mon Pete, say it, say dada. Two syllables, da-da.” Tony tried to get Peter to talk as he sat on his lap on the couch in the living room. Steve walked in, “Anything?” he asked casually. Tony sighed and shook his head. Peter squirmed off of his lap and rolled off the couch. Tony and Steve both laughed as Peter stood himself up and ran towards Steve, reaching up his arms. Steve picked him up with a smile and Peter giggled, “Hey bud,” He ruffled Peter’s dark brown hair and walked over towards Tony, who stood up. “It’s so weird, he’s just so shy when it comes to talking but otherwise, Steve, he’s so advanced.” Steve bounced Peter in his arms, which to Peter’s amusement, filled him with giggles again.

 Just then, Bruce walked in, “Hey guys there’s like a fifteen minute Shield thing that Maria Hill wants to talk to us about, nothing serious, I just think it’s some updates on Shield.” He paused, waiting for a response. “Ugh, here, I’ll go, you take Pete.” Steve transferred Peter back into Tony’s arms and followed Bruce out of the living room. Peter started playing with Tony’s cheeks and grabbing his face but Tony leaned his head away, “Let’s go play with some toys shall we?”

 He walked to Peter’s room and set him down on the fuzzy white carpet and brought out some of his toy trucks. He sat down next to him and started driving the trucks around the carpet with Peter. “Here, hold on sport, your other cars are out in the living room, I’ll be right back okay?” Tony stood up and looked at Peter driving the trucks around the floor. He left the room and headed towards the living room to get the trucks

He walked into the living room and over to the center of the floor where he saw the toys on the ground. Tony reached down and picked them up and then started back to Peter’s room. He flipped one of the toy trucks in the air and then caught it in his hand as he walked into the room. He looked around and he froze when he saw Peter. The trucks dropped from his hands and his jaw dropped.

“Jesus Christ… ah, Jarvis?” Tony gulped. “Can you call Steve and Bruce down here? I don't care what the hell they're doing... I think they'll want to see this."

“Peter? Hey uh… Pete?” Tony walked in the room further, watching his child. Peter was giggling happily and was crawling around- the walls. “Tony!?” Tony heard Steve running down the hallway, obviously he had gotten the message. “Tony! Tony what happened?” Steve ran into the room and stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Peter crawling up the walls. “Holy shit. What the hell is he doing?” Moments later Bruce came behind Steve. “Bruce what the hell is this?” Steve pointed at Peter who was still smiling, having the time of his life. “Okay calm down,” Bruce walked over towards the wall and stared at Peter, “Hey Peter, come here. Come to Uncle Bruce.” Peter made a few baby noises and then crawled over to where Bruce was standing. Bruce reached out his arms and lifted Peter off of the wall. Peter flailed his arms in the air and Bruce set him back down on the floor. He then waddled over and held onto Tony’s leg. Bruce sighed, “Well, I can’t say I’m utterly shocked. I was somewhat expecting something like this to come along.”

Steve pinched the bridge of his nose, “So, what does this mean? I mean, is he sick or, or do we need to do something or-”

“Steve calm down I’m sure it’ll be fine, right Bruce?” Tony interrupted as he turned towards Steve and then back at Dr. Banner. “Well as far as I know, he should be fine and it’s all just part of the spider bite but I’ll do an immediate check up.”

 Bruce took Peter down to his labafterwards and did the daily routine check up they would usually do. Tony told the others what happened while Steve had gone down by Bruce. Honestly, Tony had thought Steve was being a bit overdramatic about all of this but then again, he always was about these things.

“So you just found him climbing around the walls?” Clint asked as Tony leaned against the kitchen counter. “Yeah, yeah. I left just to go get his toys and came back to find him on the wall. Like his hands… they stuck to the walls.” He grabbed a beer from the fridge and unscrewed the cap, taking a sip. “Whoa man, do you know what kind of superhero he’ll grow up to-”

“No,” Tony shook his head, interrupting Clint, “Peter isn’t going to be raised like that. I mean sure, yeah he won’t exactly be raised in a ‘normal’ family but we’re not raising him to be like us. He could get himself killed and he doesn’t need that responsibility either.” He took another drink. “How can you control that?” Natasha asked as she bit into an apple. “Excuse me?” Tony asked as if she had made it as an insult. “Well all I’m saying, is how can you control what he grows up to do with these powers that he has. What if he does it anyway?”

Tony paused for a moment, thinking about the question before he finally answered simply, “He’s not gonna know.”

“I do not understand.” Thor asked as Darcy and Jane both walked in. “Don’t understand what?” Darcy asked as she opened the large fridge, in search of food. “I don’t know how, but Bruce will find a way. I’m sure of it.” Tony said taking another drink.

A few seconds later they all saw the little brown-haired boy run into the kitchen followed by Bruce and Steve. “Everything is fine, like I assumed.” Bruce said as he walked over next to Darcy. Steve walked over to Tony and put his arm around his waist. He took Tony’s beer from his hand a took a sip of his own, then handed it back. They both watched as Peter ran up to the both of them. Everyone directed their attention to the sweet little child as he stared up at Steve and Tony. Steve let out a small laugh and picked him up. “Hey Pete, can you say pa-pa?” Steve adjusted Peter in his arms. “No, say da-da.” Tony said holding his beer.

Natasha laughed as she saw how cute Peter was with them. “I’m surprised he hasn’t talked yet, considering that he seems so smart for a baby at 18 months.” Jane said as she sat down on a breakfast stool.

Peter looked at Tony and moved his arm, pointing at him. “Can you say da-da Peter?” Tony smiled and looked at Peter. Peter opened his mouth, “Ah… m… ma… ma… ma-ma.” Peter’s first words. Steve turned the other way with a smile and everyone paused. Clint started laughing immediately along with Steve. “Wait… did he just...?” Tony licked his bottom lip, “Did he just call me mama?”

Peter started giggling at Tony’s expression while the rest started laughing.

“Wow, my own son calls me mama. Of all things he could’ve said as first words he had to say mama and it just had to be to me.”