Taking a Chance

The next morning, Steve woke up but didn't get out of bed. He felt so bad for not talking to Tony about adopting Peter. As he laid in the big bed alone, he heard the door click open and then shut once again. He didn't bother to look up at Natasha or whoever it was because he was to focused on thinking things over.

"Steve?" as he guessed, it was Natasha. He pretended to be asleep and stirred slightly. Natasha remained by the door, "Steve," she repeated, "I know that you're awake and I just came to tell you that Sam, Clint, and I are going to group train and we just thought you might want to join."

Steve ignored her offer and continued to pretend sleep. "Well okay, come down if you want to." 

He heard the door open again and then shut and he opened his eyes. He didn't want to train but instead thought of checking on Tony. He obviously knew Tony would only get angry with him again but he knew they had to talk. First of all though, he decided to take a shower, giving him time to think of what to say.

Meanwhile, back in the lab, it smelled strongly of whiskey and chemicals. Tony hadn't slept at all and kept himself awake with his go-to whiskey and coffee. Working on more of his suits and making or fixing other tools or devices. All he really wanted was just some time away from everybody else.

He didn't know what to think about this whole Peter business. He couldn't take care of a child, let alone himself at times. Sometimes it just pissed Tony off so much that Steve did these types of things. But yet, he knew he would always end up forgiving him in the end because he loved him, and that's what lovers do- they fight and forgive.

Tony checked the time and seeing that it was around mid-morning, he decided it wouldn't be a bad time to go take a shower, considering this was training time and since Steve would probably be training, he could avoid talking to him for a bit longer. He didn't even know what to say to Steve. He wasn't typically good at the whole 'feelings' and 'talking things out' stuff.

He put down his wrench and made his way out of his lab and up to the main floor. 

As he walked passed the main hall and and living room, like he assumed, nobody was there, all training. 

He had to admit, the silence was actually quite nice sometimes. None of the loud giggles or the booming voice of Thor. But then again, he had gotten so used to it that you could just as easily begin to miss it.

He continued his way through the kitchen and then through the halls to their bedroom. When he arrived at the door, he was a bit confused as to why the door was shut. Usually Steve kept it open. He opened the door and when he walked in he realized he was a complete idiot. The only reason Steve would've kept it closed was if he was in there.

As he walked in, he saw Steve, just about to undo the towel around his lower waist. "Jesus Ch-" before Steve finished, he saw that it was Tony and just kept hold of the towel from falling. "Sorry, I didn't know it was only you..."

Tony looked at Steve and then rubbed his chin, "Well I thought you would've been training so I came up to take a shower." 

He saw Steve nod and walk over, "Look, about everything... I'm so sorry. I just..." he trailed off and made eye contact with Tony. "Well I don't know what to say. I mean, a kid Steve? Really?"

"I know I know. I wasn't thinking. I just felt something. Something telling me that we needed to adopt him. And I know now that I was being stupid and I'll call the lady today."

Tony sighed, knowing that Steve had always wanted to adopt a kid from the moment they were engaged. He sometimes thought about it, but then always decided against it, knowing he'd turn out something like his father. That was the major thing that always held him back. If they adopted Peter, he would turn like his father and abandon Peter for his work. Not to mention the fact that Tony was never good with responsibilities and having a child was probably one of the biggest responsibilities an adult could have. 

But then again, as Tony thought things over, he realized, they're only going to get older. All the things in life go by so quickly and life is all about taking a chance. Maybe adopting Peter would turn Tony into the exact opposite of what he feared. And then he also realized that he wouldn't be alone on this either. Peter would have another caring and loving father who was there for him, even if Tony wasn't. Together.

"Tony?" Steve snapped Tony out of his thoughts. "Hmm, yes, what were you saying- oh right calling the orphanage..."

The thought came back to Tony,

All the things in life go by so quickly and life is all about taking a chance.

"Steve... what was to happen if I told you not to cancel the adoption?" he scratched the back of his neck. Just like that Tony saw Steve's blue eyes look straight at him again, "What? Why?" 

Tony knew this was going to turn his world upside down and it would ultimately change everything, but the more he thought about it, the more he realized having a kid could be the funnest thing to ever happen to him- along with Steve of course. Starting a family.

"Well, just give me some more time to think things over, we'll need a room of course. Along with a crib and toys and diapers and all that baby stuff. I mean, adopting a kid is a big d-" Tony was cut off by Steve's large arms wrapping around him. "You mean it," he heard Steve talk into his ear, "I mean, are you sure you don't want more time to really think about this? You might want to-"

"I know, and yes I mean it. We can do this." Tony interrupted in reply. He was so worried. What was he about to get himself into? The more he worried about just jumping into things so quickly, the more he remembered, 'I've got Steve. I'm not alone.'

"I.. I can't believe you're saying yes to this Tony. I've wanted this for so long and now we're finally going to start a family. I love you. I love you so much Tony." Steve said as he let go. 

"I love you so much too." Tony replied smiling, "Oh and Steve?"

"Hmm?"

"Get dressed. I wouldn't want anyone walking in on us while you're just standing there naked."

Steve blushed, realizing that when he let go of the towel to give Tony a hug, it had slipped and had fallen to the ground.