A Not-so-Happy Ending

"Eh Coulson?" Steve had barely left the hospital parking lot when he regretted the idea of bringing Peter to the mansion.

"Orphanage?" Phil immediately knew what Steve was thinking.

"Yeah, I'll bring Peter there." Steve replied with a sigh as he then backed out the car and headed for the orphanage for the young kids. Coulson said he would meet Steve there, to give the orphanage the legal documents on Peter.

-

"I'm glad you came to your senses. I mean, it would've been difficult, just taking the child home without a baby room and crib and all of that. It takes preparation. And what would Tony say?" Coulson talked to Steve as he filled out paperwork for the orphanage. When he finished, he looked up and handed the papers to the lady behind the counter.

Another lady came out from behind the front desk and offered to take the child from Steve. He hesitated and looked at the sleeping child one last time before handing over the car seat. The lady smiled and then walked away with Peter. Steve sighed. "You know, it really is for the best. Little babies are always looked at right away- chances are, he'll find a new family in no time." Coulson said as he turned, ready to leave.

Before Steve turned to follow Phil, he looked at the lady behind the counter who was checking over Peter's forms. "Ah excuse me, ma'am, can you actually mark Peter down as unavailable to adopt at the moment? You see, my husband and I, we would like to adopt Peter- but we still need to finish the room and all." Steve lied.

"Sure thing." The lady smiled and checked something off on a form. Steve smiled politely, "Thanks."

He followed Coulson out the door with the smile still set on his face.

"Did you just...?"

"Yup." Steve chuckled to himself.

Back when Steve arrived at the mansion, he made his way to the main living room. When he walked in, he saw Jane and Thor sitting with each other on the couch, and Darcy was leaning on Bruce's shoulder sitting below the couch on the floor. The lights were turned off and they were watching a movie. 

"Oh! Hey Steve, we're just watching a movie, you should join us." Jane looked up and turned to Steve. Thor also turned and so did Bruce and Darcy. "Ah, no. I just, I don't want to interrupt anything." Steve replied, shrugging them off. "Captain you should stay. It's just a movie. Besides, you wouldn't be interrupting a thing." Bruce then added.

Steve scratched the back of his head, "Alright I guess I'll watch then." He awkwardly walked further into the room and then sat in Tony's favorite chair to the left of the couch Thor and Jane were on. "So where are Clint and 'Tash?" He asked as they watched him sit down.

"Mmm, they left about three hours ago. Some small mission thing I suppose." Jane replied as she directed her attention back to the movie.

Steve thought about telling them about Peter, but decided to wait, considering his own husband didn't even know it yet. He knew Tony would come around. He always did. Didn't he?

*two hours later*

"Hmm what do you guys eat around here 'cause I'm starving." Darcy was hopelessly flipping through the cupboards and looking in the fridge. There really wasn't anything. "We kinda just eat whatever, I guess." Bruce was behind her, leaning on the island counter side. Clint and Natasha had arrived back from their Shield work when the movie ended. At that point everybody was fairly hungry. The only one who wasn't home yet was Tony.

"Well I guess we could go out." Banner suggested looking at Darcy.

"Why don't we go together." Thor asked. "Yeah like a double date!" Jane added.