chapter twenty-five, on site.

- Theodore -

- Theodore -

Truce?
I scribbled on a piece of paper before passing it to Camila. I know her and I know she's treating this like a game she has to win. She can't really be enjoying talking to Matt like that, she's trying to make me jealous.
And it's working.

She gave me a nod and a small smile and I silently sighed in relief.

The bell rang and we exchanged goodbyes before slipping out the classroom. "You need a ride?"

"Nah, Zoe's here, thanks."

"See you."

We parted and I spotted Joey's curly mop of hair in the crowded hallway and followed him. "Hey, Joey?"

"Yeah?"

"Leave Cami the fuck alone."

"Man, you too? I feel like I'm the only one not getting a taste of that-"

I didn't let him finish his sentence before kicking behind his knee, causing him to fall to the floor. I had to stop myself from beating him up there and then so I carried on walking and didn't look at anyone until I reached my car.

*

"Hey." I sat across from Matt on a bench beside the site. There were a few of the other builders, probably mid-twenties beside us in their own conversation. I've spend the last two hours bringing planks of wood upstairs and laying the floor so my back is aching like mad, but I'd rather do that for another six hours than take a break with Matthew.

I opened my bottle of water when Matt asked me, "How's Camila?"

Has he not been talking to her all day? "She's good... why?"

"Nah just wondering, I know you're friends so."

"Oh, yeah."

"Has she mentioned me at all?"

Shit. That's where this is going. Has she told him? Has she not told him anything?

"Briefly, why?"

"Just wanted to know. We've hung out a few times and I really like her but she's not very clear on how she feels."

"Mhm, she's like that." A part of me stung with a mix of defensiveness and jealousy. "She only opens up to people she's close to."

"Yeah she seems like quite a shy and innocent person."

Oops, not anymore man, sorry.
I smirked into my bottle of water, "she does seem it at first."

"She's changed this summer, she's gotten hotter."