chapter seventeen, breakfast.

- Camila -

- Camila -

It absolutely broke me to see the strongest person I know break down. It hurts even more knowing I wasn't here to help him sooner. Wiping the tear off his face made my heart burn and I almost cried myself. I know the pain of loosing a parent, hell I've done it twice, but he's not lost his, they're just drifting away, which must be just as bad.
"You've always got a home here with me if you want to stay."

"Thank you Camila."

Wrapping my arms around his body was the only way I knew how to help him. I'd never normally hug him but so much has happened since I've came back and I think we both need it. "Goodnight, Dory."

"Sweet dreams, baby."

Baby. He only ever calls me that when he's about to climax. I'm probably hearing things but I'm half asleep, so I rested my head in the crook of his neck and dozed off to sleep.

I was woken up by a pounding to the door. "Half-six Cam, did you not set an alarm?"

"Shit."
I groaned and attempted to stretch my arms but my hand was caught. Well, intwined. Theo still had his back to me, curled up with my fingers interlocking his still. He stirred when Zoe shouted but didn't wake up, so I had to.
"Theo- Theodore!"

"Hm?" He turned his head, opening his eyes and allowing them to adjust to the light seeping through my curtains, "oh, hey."

"Morning. Zoe just shouted me, don't you need to get your school stuff?"

"Ah shit, yea." He rolled over, watching as I slipped out of his grasp and over to my wardrobe.

"I'm up Zoe- give me five!"

"Should I show my face or climb through the window?"

"Up to you. Zoe won't mind if you stayed here, you know she loves you. You can have breakfast here and then go home."

"Sure."

"I'm going to get a quick shower, don't lie in too long."

"Yes, Ma'am."

*

I returned to my room in just a towel, squeezing the water out of my hair. I expected Theo to be asleep and still in bed but I quickly noticed he wasn't. I stuck my head out of the door, listening out for any movement downstairs.
"We have practice today and but matches don't start for another week or two."

"I'll have to come watch with Cami if I'm off work."

"I'm sure they won't be that exciting..."

I shut the door and smiled to myself as I dried off and got dressed. I wonder if his parents will come to his games. I always went to them. I didn't cheer him on because I'm too much of a feminist to be a cheerleader and too shy to scream from the crowds. But I went and watched and supported him.

I was being serious when I told him he always has a home here. Zoe's like his big sister too, except I think she'd definitely be in his pants if she were our age.
I just hope he knows I was being serious.

My hair was damp but I was dressed and ready for school when I strolled downstairs. "Hey."

"You should've told me Theo was staying, I would've made something proper for breakfast."

"It's fine, don't worry." Theo placed his empty plate into our dishwasher. "Thanks."

He gave me a proper smile as I sat down, picking up a banana from the fruit bowl and peeling it.
"I'll get ready and give you a ride."

"Sure, do you want me to come over now?"
I know he can tie his own shoe laces but after seeing him last night I'm not sure if he wants to go back.

"It's fine, I can meet you in a few. Thanks again."

"No problem."
He left out the front door and Zoe was quick to pounce on me. "He's gotten taller hasn't he? I know he's wearing a hoodie but I bet he's ripped too-"

"Drop it please?"

"Sorry, just saying. I don't know how you two keep your hands off each other."
Little does she know...
"Is he gay? Are you gay?"

"Zo, no! We're straight. And we're friends, just friends."

"Alright." She threw up her hands defeated before picked up an apple. "How's this Matt then? Does Theo like him?"

I've actually been wondering that myself. I came back this summer and he talked of Matt like a friend. But now we're talking he doesn't seem as fond.
"I think so - they work together."

"Mhm. Two strong and handsome boys either side of you." She bit into the red shiny fruit.

"Stop- wait, you haven't met Matt."

"No but his Instagram isn't private."

"Zo! He doesn't post though."

"His friends do."

"Zoe!"

"Sorry! Go get ready, boy-number-one is waiting."

After drying my hair I grabbed my gear for training and my books I need before rushing out the house and across to Theo's, where he was waiting in his car typing on his phone.
"Was just texting you." He turned his phone to show me his half typed message for me as I sat in the passenger seat.
*waiting outside whenever you're r...*

"You ready?"

"I think so."

We left the estate before we dared to speak. "Thanks again for last night, sorry I dumped that on you."

"Don't be. You can talk to me about anything, you know that."

"I do."

We walked into school as best friends, having the same casual and weird conversations we'd always have, without a care in the world.
Until we made it to the social area. "Hey Cam, Theo."

"Hi."

"What's up."
I could feel Theo stiffening by my side and once again we were back to this awkward triangle.

"I had fun yesterday, we should do it again sometime."
Shit. I completely forgot to tell Theo about it. I smiled and nodded at Matt, pretending not to care when Theo sauntered over to his team.

But this is what I wanted right? I wanted to be more out there this year and I wanted it with Matt. I wanted to just be friends with Theo and have some benefits on the side.
I'm single yet I feel like I'm cheating on them both.