chapter seventy-three, ring.

- Theodore -

- Theodore -

My hands were shaky as I buttoned up my shirt. That's normal, right? I've never taken a girl out before. This is around about the time when you get a pep-talk from your Dad and he tells you to 'hold the door for her' and 'be respectful'.

But instead of a father figure I've got Becca. And to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way.

"So, are you gonna get down on one knee or..?"
She lay on my bed, admiring the silver ring I bought this afternoon.

"Give me that." I snatched, ignoring her teasing while I slipped the small pink box into my pocket. "I'm not proposing, I'm just asking her to be my girlfriend, that's all."

"That's all." She mimicked. "It's a big deal, T. You're asking your best friend to be your girlfriend!"

"You're really not helping with the nerves, Bec." I complained.

"Sorry, sorry." She raised her hands in surrender.

It's almost six-thirty and I need to pick her up soon. I left Becca in my room while I went to the bathroom to fix my hair and brush my teeth. The cuts and bruises on my face were visible, but my hair and small band-aids did a good job of hiding them.

The smell of my cologne filled the bathroom and when my watch read six-forty I knew I had to leave.

"I'm going to go pick her up." I informed Bec who has made herself quite comfortable. "Can you cover for me if Mom asks why I'm not home? I want to tell her about Cami myself."

"Got it." She smiled. "Good luck, you look great."

"Thanks."
I slipped my wallet and phone into my pocket. "See you later."

I pretended I didn't hear her shout "use protection" while I left the house, locking the door behind me before getting into my car.

*On my way x*
I started to panic a tiny bit more after sending that text, while I headed down the street. She's obviously going to say yes, right? She's practically, already my girlfriend, unofficially. Although I've tried to convince myself otherwise, that one part of me thinks I'm only ever going to be 'a friend' in her eyes.

The nerves must have made me speed because I got there faster than usual. I sat in the car for a few seconds, double checking that I didn't forget anything and trying to pull myself together.

I sang affirmations in my head while I walked up her porch's front steps.
After three knocks on the door I waited a few seconds. It sung open and I was greeted by Zoe with her hair tied up and her uniform on.

"Hey, can Camila come out to play?" I joked, acting like we were twelve year olds again.

"Bring her home before the street lights are on." Zoe warned, with a smile on her face.