chapter thirty-two, conference.

- Theodore -

- Theodore -

"Our goal for the next year is to expand our work range, building in different areas across the state."
Myself and almost a dozen men sat in the completely white office, with open windows that look out onto the city.

I've never seen Dad as dressed up before, he never made this much of an effort for a date with Mom or Becca's graduation.
He sat proud and straight in his seat, proposing different ideas and statistics with other middle-aged men, and it was apparent that I was the odd one out.
I tried not to fall asleep, for his sake, copying his stance and appearing like I understand what's going on.

"And you... Master DeMarco?" Master DeMarco. That's a new one, I'm surprised Jake hasn't called me that yet. "What's your opinion on this matter?"

All eyes turned to me, and mine turned to Dad. He never told me I'd have to make an input. He gave me a slight nod with a clenched jaw. I should just agree with him but nothing he said made any sense whatsoever.

"Personally-" I sat up, looking at all the men focusing on me. "I think we should focus more in local areas, and on bigger projects."
I could faintly hear Dad's gulp, but shut it out so I could finish explaining my point.

"Our most recent project is the Rearvalley estate in our home town. We completed 5 houses in fourteen weeks, three of which are now homes for local families - one I know personally. It's provided many jobs for unemployed people, even people at my high school who have been struggling to find jobs now work there after school and on weekends, like myself. This is a local, family business, not a big company from a big city."

I took a breath, noticing how they were actually interested in what I was saying. "By working locally, we're giving back to our area. And to add to what my father was saying, we would like to expand, but not to large cities, to other towns like our own. To provide local jobs and create homes, shops, shelters, and whatever else the town's lack."

I exhaled, watching the men nod and take notes. I felt Dad's hand pat me on the thigh, lifting a weight off my shoulder. "What's your name, son?"

"Theo- Theodore."

"And you're going to be taking over this company after your father?"

"That's the plan." I nodded, pleasing my father but not myself.

I think one of the men noticed my lack of enthusiasm. "I've got a daughter your age-" the slim, clean shaved man pointed the end of his pen at me. "She's studying arts and literature, and always hated my company, refusing to inherit it after me, like it was the worst thing in the world. Until she started working with me, and saw what I did. She still doesn't want to inherit it all, but she's found a way to balance her time. She studies during the week for her dream college, and on the weekends she helps out here. So when my time comes to retire, she'll have the option."