chapter sixty-three, lace.

- Theodore -

- Theodore -

First class consisted of me checking the clock, colouring in any shapes I could find in my textbook with my black ink pen, and worrying about Camila.

What if he comes to school? He sits beside her almost every class. Has he tried to contact her since or did she block his number?

The bell rang and I looked for Camila in the hallways, but she wasn't anywhere to be seen. I ended up giving in, and just heading to my class, holding my phone under my desk to text her.
*everything ok?*

*get off your phone before it gets confiscated.*

*i'll take that as a yes.*

I shut off my phone, stuffing it back into my pocket while the final few people rolled into class. Katie took her seat next to me, giving me a small smile to say hi before opening her book.

That's when it clicked.
"You knew, didn't you?"

"What?"

"What Matt and Joey had going on. You knew. That's why you tried to help me."

"Theo-"

"Why didn't you tell us?"

"I couldn't." Her whispering voice cracked, "They-"

"I thought we were friends, Katie. If not us then you and Camila. I thought you two were friends; co-captains. How could you sit back, knowing what he was trying to do to her?"

"I tried to stop it the second I found out- but they were threatening me - if I told them they'd tell my shit and I couldn't- Theo, I am so, fucking sorry, but I just couldn't-"

"Save it."

"Theo-"

"He tried to rape her, Katie. What part of that do you not understand?"

She froze and I swear I saw the colour drain from her face. "I didn't know about that- I swear to you I thought it was just a kiss-"

I pressed my fingers both sides of the bridge of my nose. "Please, just shut up. You still knew it was a bet, and you didn't tell us."

She closed her mouth, looking like she was about to cry as she turned back to listen to the teacher.
"Is she okay?"

"Yeah, I don't know how, but she is."

"I swear I had no idea- if I did I would've told you-"

"I'm not the person who you should be apologising to."

The bell rang and Katie rushed out of class with her head down. I checked my timetable to see where Camila is now, and made my way out of the classroom to my locker.

I was about to open it but first I glanced around me, and my eyes locked onto a certain brunette, casually walking towards me with his hands in his pockets. "You've got to be fucking with me-"