chapter fourteen, boxes.

- Theodore -

- Theodore -

I lost Camila after class. I presumed Zoe was giving her a lift home but now my overthinking ass feels like she's with Matt.

I drove home with the windows down and my music blasting, a pair of RayBan's resting on my nose. Summer's practically over but the weathers still good.

"What the fuck?" I pulled into the drive to see both my parents car and truck were outside. Them both being home at the same time rarely happens anymore.

I locked my car and threw my school bag over my shoulder as I strolled into my house. I wouldn't even flinch if they turned around and said 'we're getting a divorce', and to be honest I'd rather that at this point.
"Just put it down! Leave it with the others- no! Just let me do it."

Here we go.
I practically slammed the door behind me, just to let them know I'm home. I kicked off my shoes and dropped my bag, delaying my entry before slumping to the kitchen. There were brown cardboard boxes on the table and sofa with different labels wrote bold in black sharpie.

"Theodore!" My mother greeted me with a way-too-big-to-be-real smile. "I thought you had practice..." she turned to give a death stare to my father who followed her into the room. A strand of curly brown hair fell over her forehead and she tucked it behind her ear.

"Hey Mom, Dad."
I got a nod from Dad and Mom pulled out two chairs, gesturing for me to sit.
I sighed and slumped into the chair, leaning back and crossing my arms, waiting for the talk.

"We've decided that it's best to spend some time apart."
I only nodded in response, not being fazed by the news. She's never home anyways, what difference would it make?

Dad placed his hand on my shoulder like he expected me to burst into tears. His work clothes shows he came home just for this and he'll probably head back out in five.
"I'm moving into a small apartment about 20 minutes away, but I'll still be around so you won't even notice. I've got a spare room if you want to come visit anytime at all."

"Okay." I shrugged. It's not like I'm hiding my emotions, I've just had plenty of time to prepare for this conversation and all possible scenarios.

"Okay..." she agreed, slightly unsure. I got a firm pat on my back from Dad before he picked up two boxes and brought them out to mom's car.
"So- how was your day?"

*

I finally escaped my parents questions when Mom drove away. They're pretending to care about my life to distract me from this all when I know they couldn't care less about what sports I'm doing or what classes I like.

I returned to a half empty home when I went back inside and it didn't click until I noticed the photograph of Mom, Rebecca and I that used to sit on the mantle piece was missing. It was always Mom's favourite so it made sense that she took it, but it still feels weird not seeing it there, and I liked bullying Rebecca about the gap in her teeth. But I suppose she's not here either, so...

I lay on my bed for a while listening to some rapper I heard the boys talking about in the locker room. I don't understand why though, he's shit.
Non of my music matched what I was in the mood for so I scrapped it altogether and put on a movie.

Avengers played in the background as I scribbled down my homework. I know Camila said seven o' clock but I'm bored and want to be with her, even if it's just to hang out.
*hey, almost done your homework?*

Her not replying to my text answered my question. The nerd probably powered off her phone while she was doing it.

The movie was almost over when my phone buzzed, my hand pouncing onto the device.
*Its not 7 yet.*

*Hot chocolate?*

*seven.*

"Ugh." I sighed out loud and checked the time. I've got almost an hour to waste. The movie ended and I stripped off and jumped into the shower.

The cold water woke me up and soon warmed up, almost burning my scalp as I held my head under the water. Although Mom properly moving out kind of stung, I found myself smiling at the thought of seeing Camila in half an hour.

I put on some cologne and rubbed the towel over my head. My clothes were always the same - no brands, no bold colours. I guess it's easier to wear the same thing everyday than to worry about outfits. My grey sweatshirt slipped over my head and I waited eagerly on my phone for the clock to hit seven.

I left my house at 6:59 p.m., keeping my eyes on my phone as I walked across and knocked on her door.

7:00 p.m.
"Hey."

All my worries floated away when I saw the blonde girl stood in only a black t-shirt with a smirk on her face.
"Come in."

I barely let her close the door when I grabbed her waist, nuzzling into the crook of her neck, "Is she home?"

"Nope, just us."
That was music to my ears. I wrapped my hands under her body and carried the squealing girl up to her room.
"I'm starting to think 'Hot Chocolate' is code for oral."

"Hot chocolate is always going to be hot chocolate, but if you want cream - just ask."