Chapter-5-Pact With The CM

Shalini breathed heavily touching her nuptial chain in her hands. She turned to face her now husband who had a painful look as he watched his father die in front of his eyes. Her tear ducts dried off as she collapsed back into the chair. Rakshan was stuck in dilema, whether to console his friend on the loss of his father or his sister for the sudden marriage. He was contemplating on what to do when Shalini fainted. "Thangam!!" He exclaimed rushing to her, carrying her to the doctor while Avinash was too shattered to even notice.

######

Shalini woke up a day later with saline injected to her. She saw her mom and sister sitting by her side. "Amma?" She called who in turn smiled and caressed her hair. "Yenga ivalayum, un thambiyum pathukave un vazhkai poirumo nu bayanthate irrundhen..... Kadavul ah pathu Avinash thambi ah unnaku kuduthurkaru." She told and a drop of tear escaped Shalini's eye. "Shalini azhadha, Namma vazhkai la oru vishayam kedaiklana, adha vida nalladha kedaikumam. Unnaku Avinash thambi kedaichadhu apdi dhan!! En pasangala naa paathukren, nee un vazhkai ah paaru." She cooed.

"En vazhkai eh neenga dhan." She croaked out drowsily. "Akka unnaku ippo kalyanam aayiduchu." Her sister reminded. "Kalyanam aana? Unnakum un thambi kum fees katta vendama? Illa EMI katradhuku Namma thatha varuvara?" She tried to talk when the doctor walked in.

"Patient ah strain pannadhinga." He told. "Illa, I am okay." She told. "Thangam okay va?" Rakshan asked following behind. "Oru naal full ah inimel saapdama irrukadhinga!! CM oda loss perusu dhan, adhukaga ipdi sapdama Ellam irruka koodadhu." The doctor advised and she nodded. "Anna, Avinash Maama enga? Avara nerla paathadhu eh illa." Her sister told. "Divya Avan inga dhan ma varan, nethu dhana andha cremation nadandhuchu adhu naala konjam off ah dhan irrukan." Rakshan reasoned. "Appo naa oru naal full ah hospital la irrundhena?!!" Shalini exclaimed. "Aama ka." Her sister intervened. "Appo hospital bill uh?!! Indha hospital la verum idli eh five crore aachu eh!!" She exclaimed and the others chuckled."CM pondatti kitta Ellam bill keka maatanga, don't worry." Her sister teased while Shalini's smile fell for that statement.

Avi on the other hand knocked the door. Rakshan opened it and Shalini's mom got up and welcomed Avi. Shalini had a frown on her face while Avi felt anxious around Shalini's family, "Hi maams, akka kitta thaniya pesanuma?" She asked. Avi nodded and the others left them alone. They had a few minutes of silence. "Sorry." She apologized. "Edhuku?" He questioned. "Unga appa oda death...." She reminded and he again looked away in silence. Both of them wanting to talk about their disinterest in the marriage.

"Ennaku indha marriage/kalyanathula interest illa." Both of them told at the same time. They both let out a sigh of relief. "Nalla Vela naa kooda nee oru typical Indian woman maari, we are married, serndhu vazhndhu dhan aaganum nu force pannuva nu nenachen!!" He exclaimed rolling his eyes. "What do you mean by typical Indian woman? Chumma naalu palya padam pathutu vandhuruvanga stereotype panna!!" She added in a disgusted tone. "Oho appo you don't have all those unnecessary sentiments huh?" He asked. "Enna paatha epdi teriyudhu?" She questioned. "Seri appo andha chain ah kalti kudu." He challenged.

She removed her nuptial chain and passed it onto his hand. "Idhoda value yaaru katra ngradhula dhan irruku.... Adhoda design layo adhuku panra poojai lo illa!!" She replied. "Romba nalladhu but I have a favor to ask." He told. "CM post la irrundhu resign panra process ah? Oru sign podhum!!" She exclaimed happily. "Un aasa!" He added sarcastically. "Aprom vera enna?" She asked now dejected. "Adhu... Andha hospital room, appa munnadi nadandhu just oru formality dhan, I want to get married legally.... To you." He confessed. "Edhey!!" She exclaimed in shock. "Enna joke katringla?" She asked. "Illa I am serious, naa oru lawyer ah erkanave consider pannitu dhan pesren, six months la ungluku divorce vangi thandhuren." He reasoned.

"Yov loose ah ya nee? Ippo edhuku kalyanam pannanum? Edhuku divorce pannanum?" She questioned. "Enga appa enkitta perusa onnum kettadhu eh illa, kadaisi onnu eh onnu dhan kettaru, unna kalyanam pannika sonnaru, adhu ennaku pudiklenalum avarukaga paanuven..... Indha favour kaga nee enna kettalum tharen... Money? Fame? You name it!!" He exclaimed. "Enna paatha oru prostitute maari teridha?" She asked grossed out. "Naa apdi sollala. It will be something from which both of us can benifit!! Ippove badhil sollanum nu illa, yoschi sollu!" He told hurriedly before she could respond.

"Inga paaru! (Holds her right palm and places the nuptial chain on her hand)... Idha neeye vechiko.... yoschi naaliku badhil sollu, podhum." He told and they both looked into each other's eyes, hers showing uncertainty while his hope. "Neengale vechikonga, adhu ennaku venuma nu innum decide panla." She told and he nodded, slipping it into his pocket. The door was knocked and Rakshan and the gang entered, Avi smiled weakly while Shalini was still in deep thought. "Seri aunty appo naa kelambren." He told. "Yenga pa kelambra? Un wife ah un veetuku kooptu po!!" Rakshan exclaimed. Avi widened his eyes and gulped. "Illa, avangluku uncomfortable ah irrukum ipdi thideernu pona, adhuvum avangluku odambu vera seriyilla, konja nalliku avanga amma kudaye irrukatum, naa legal ah marriage ah register panna vazhi pannitu avangla kutitu poren." He confessed.

######

A week passed, Shalini was at home, thinking deeply. She didn't work for a week. She locked herself up and thought about Mahesh sir's last wish. She heard a knock, only to find it was her brother. "Akka naliku college fees kattanum." He reminded. "Ippo dhana da avaluku fees kattuchu, konja time aagum, en account ippo almost sweeped clean." She commented. "Seri eppo last date?" She asked. "Next week la." he told in a worried tone. "Seri innum one week irruku illa, naa adhukulla ready panren nee yedhuvum yosikama poi padi!!" She told.

"Akka naa vena college ah discontinue pannitu Vela theduta?" He offered. "Serrupu pinjirum!! Yen indha veetukaga naa oruthi adha pannunadhu pathalaya? Nee vera pannanuma? Pesama poi padi da!!" She yelled making him leave. She clenched her head walking down. "Ma oru coffee." She asked. "Hey! Gas theerura maari irruku, pudhusu book pannu." Her mom told and she hummed. "Akka Vandi la petrol out uh!!" Her sister told for her part. There were notifications for EMI and others making her head spin. Her thoughts involuntarily landed on her nuptial chain.

She took a deep sigh realising what she was signing up for, but her brother's words of quitting college affected her the most. He was barely nineteen!

######

The next day, she walked to his gaming room in Mahesh sir's villa. "Sir." She called. "Ulla vaa Harini." He greeted. "Shalini, sir." She corrected. "Adhu nalla enna ippo? Just sollu unnaku indha agreement okay va?" He asked. She nodded. "Aana ennaku sila conditions irruku." She told. "Go on " he cheered happy that he could fulfill his dad's last wish.

"First condition, I would still work after marriage." He nodded.

"Second condition, I want this marriage to be a secret. CM oda ex wife ah enna Yaarum paaka kudadhu." She told and he nodded.

"Third condition, Nammaku divorce aanadhu kapromum ennoda siblings oda educational expenses and Amma oda medical expenses ah neenga yethukanum." She added and he nodded.

"Done deal! Ennaku condition Ellam perusa illa just , divorce kaprom enna personal ah pester panna kudadhu." He told and she nodded.

The pact was signed that evening, along with the marriage registration papers.