Chapter-11-Village

Avi drove through the state highway to a village. The trees painted with numbers, a few men on motorcycles and a few in cycles passing them, giving off a calm vibe. Suddenly, the road was filled with potholes, waking Shalini from her nap. "Enna Shalini road ipdi irruku?" He asked. "Road podravan lirndhu, podanum nu solravan varaikum ellarum commission adicha indha latchanathula dhan irrukum." She commented touching up her kajal. The road at one point turned bouncy and the wheels began getting stuck in the mud. "Aama indha oorkulam ambulance epdi varum?" Avi questioned. "Varadhu." Shalini added and Avi had a disturbed expression.

Finally, Shalini asked him to park the car by the side. Avi was about to wear the mask when she held his hand. "Enna?" She asked. "Enna yarachu kandupidichita?" He asked back. "Kandupidicha enna ippo?" She questioned back and he didn't have an answer. "Errangunga." She told and he followed. Seeing a pricey car come to their village, the duo had already caught the attention of the village. "Hey adhu CM dhana?" A guy asked to his friend and Avi smiled at them awkwardly. Shalini then pulled him towards the agricultural fields.

A wide strech of the land was covered with rice crop. "Inga irrukura land and pakkathula irrukura konja villages oda land ah oru company vanga try pannudhu." She told. "Edhuku?" Avi questioned. "Hydrocarbon project, adhachu land lirndhu biogas extract panradhu." She told. "Nalla vishayam dhana, indha land oda value Ellam increase aagum, land ah vithutu oru nalla livelihood ku polam." Avi answered. Shalini just glared at him. "Generation by generation avanga panra Vela idhu, IT is their livelihood, idha vitta avangluku panradhuku vera onnume illa." She reasoned. 

"Second thing, neenga nenaikra maari, indha land ku government perusa onnum thara poradhu illa, they will give compensation, ivalo fertile aana land ah eduthutu engayo irrundhu idhuku barren land ah replacement ah tharuvanga. Adhu mattum illa, andha project nalla adha suthi irrukira Ella village um affect aagum, Anga irrundhu Vara fumes nalla adutha generation evalo kashtam padum nu yosinga, you own a medical degree." Shalini continued.

"Indha project ah panra corporate company ku profit, adha vangi thandha Ganesh and Vamshi ku profit aana anga kudi irrukura common man ku mattum loss." She completed and huffed making Avi think seriously. "Indha project oda approval kaga, sign panna unga desk la dhan irruku. It's up to you, neenga enna panringa ngradhu." She told and turned to leave. Avi's eyes fell on an old man who was ploughing the entire length of the field by himself. "Shalini!!!" He yelled and she turned to face him. "Adha kilichi potru!!" He told. "Edha?" She asked. "En desk la irruka approval kaga wait panra document." He told and she again grinned.

Again unable to control her excitement, she kissed a small girl's cheeks beside her and carried the girl in her arms. "Just miss uh." Avi muttered under his breath and smiled. "Akka enga veetuku varingla?" The girl asked. "Polama Avinasheyy?" Shalini asked and Avi nodded. The girl then pointed into a cramped hut. The door wasn't even upto Avi's neck. A woman then walked out of it with a bright smile. "Haiyo!! Mudhalvar aiyya vandhurkinga, veetla kuduka kooda onnum illaye." The woman exclaimed. "Ennaku onnum vena nga." He told. The woman then offered water. Avi sipped it and instantly frowned. "Indha thanni la enna chlorine smell and taste ipdi adikudhu?" He asked. "Purify panra latchanam apdi." Shalini commented. "Idhoda related officials ah naa meet pannanum." Avi told and she smiled nodding.

Avi's eyes then fell on the raw rice, kept outside for drying. He ran his hands through it and frowned to its quality. "Quality yen ivalo mosama irruku?" Avi asked her. "Ration shops la Vara high quality rice ah veliya sell pannitu, cheap aana rice ah vangi kuduthu profit pannuvanga." Shalini told. "Verum arisi la mattum illa thambi, yenna, sakkara nu elathalayum kalapadam." The woman told. "Kalapadam na?" Avi asked Shalini. "Adulteration." She answered. "Vera enna enna nadakuthu Inga?" He asked sincerely.

"Current ah correct ah rathiri la cut panniranga, pullainga padika romba kashtama irruku." She told. "Aprom night la road la nadakka bayama irruku, oru street light kooda illa." A girl from behind them told and he listened carefully. "Andha school--" A guy began when someone from the crowd behind anonymously yelled, "Ivanga kitta prechanaya edhuku solli te waste panringa, epdiyum tirumba pogambodhu ellathyum marandhuduvanga, indha prechana theerum nu namba nambite irrupom aana avanga world tour suthuvanga."

Shalini was about to give comforting words to Avi when he too told, "Enna nambunga nu naa solla maaten, ena naan eh nambala, naa CM aanadhu eh enga appa naala aana ennala oru vishayam solla mudiyum. Naa neenga idhu varaikum paatha endha politician maari um naa irruka maaten." He told. "Enna avangala pathi ennaku onnume teriyadhu." He confessed earning a half smile from Shalini and a few approving smiles from the crowd.

"Neenga public speaking nalla panringa CM sir." Shalini whispered. "Teriyum." He told blinking his eyes at her. "Aama adhu enna building, paaka romba crumbling condition la irruku?" He asked. "Adhan yen school." The girl in Shalini's arms told and Avi had a surge of anger rising inside him. "Idhu yen ipdi irruku na...." Shalini began when he stopped her. "Kalaila irrundhu orey reason dhan en kaadhula vizhudhu. Ennaku kalaila irrundhu discuss panna ella problem oda officials kuda meeting set Pannu." He told seriously and Shalini smiled. "Sure sir." She told.

'Thangam success.' Shalini sent.

'Adhukulaye vaa?!!' The reply arrived.

'Ellam Shalini training!!' she sent back.

'Teriyudhu, Ellam solravanga sonna dhan puriyudhu nu.' he sent making Shalini remind herself that it was only a proffesional relationship and nothing else.

######

On the other hand, that kid dragged Avi to her school 'building'. The roof was made of clay tiles, that looked like they could collapse anytime. The little girl rushed into a room when Shalini noticed the roof collapsing. "Avinash!!" She exclaimed, her heart almost leaping out. Shalini rat out of the building while Avi ran inside in an attempt to save the girl. "Avinash enna panringa? Veliya vanga!!" She yelled. But Avi just held the girl in his embrace and took a blow on his shoulders before barely making it out, falling back first in the floor, safeguarding the girl. 

The crowd rushed to him, Shalini running to him as the first person. She tapped his cheek, her eyes blurring lightly. "Avinash?" She called and he was trying hard to remain conscious while the little girl was safe. She slowly pulled him towards hers and held him close. A drop of tear escaping her eyes.