chapter 34

wills pov:

"thank you so much for the shooting today."

the nice lady said while packing her things.

"yeah, of course. i'll send the pictures to you by next monday and you can make an exact selection of the ones you like."

"that's great."

i watched the lady and her husband leave with their two children and then began rolling up the white paper rolls i had used as a background.

i sighted. my living room really isn't the best shooting location. 

after i had cleaned the mess i let myself fall on the couch placing my laptop in my lap. i went through the hundreds of photos i had made today and already deleted those which were blurred or the people had closed eyes. 

i stopped at one specific photo. the little daughter, lilian, how i had learned, had tried to run off but her mom held her back and tickled her and the older kid, jamie, had his head leaned against his fathers stomach, both had giggled about something they had said. 

my heart stung as i saw the happy, perfect family. i bet they had their problems too but at least there still were all four of them.

"mom, where's harley?"

silence. 

"mom-? forget it."

i walked upstairs while dialing my brothers number and waiting for him to pick up. 

"'sup bug?"

"where are you? i wanna show you something." 

"i'm with olive right now, but i can come back if you need me to?"

olive was his girlfriend.

"oh, no, you don't have to it's not that important anyway."

"you sure? because it's no proble-"

i let myself fall on my bed. 

"it's fine. will you come back tonight though?"

"yeah of course, i'll pick dad up from work and then come home, okay?"

"yup, see you later."

"bye bug. i love you."

"love you too."

the evening rolled around and i heard the front door open and close. 

"lay? dad?"

there was no answer so i walked downstairs. no one was here and now three pairs of shoes were gone. 

mom must have left. 

i went into the kitchen to look for something to eat. i took some chips because i was too lazy to cook and plopped down on the couch in the living room afterwards. 

i grabbed the remote and turned on spongebob. a few hours passed and i was still home alone. dad and harley were nowhere to be seen. 

slowly i got worried. dad got of work at eight normally and it didn't take longer than 45 minutes to drive home, even with traffic. 

but now it was already nearing ten. i called my dad first and was already in slight panic when he didn't pick up. my hands shook as i typed in my brothers number.

i paced around the room waiting for the beeping-noise to be replaced by harleys calming voice. 

"the number you have dialed is not available at this time, please try again later."

no, no, no.

fuck, fuck, fuck.

what do i do? 

i grabbed the phone once again. i sighted relieved when the beeping stopped after a few seconds and i heard a familiar voice.

"why are you calling me?"

"mom, where are ley and dad?"

"i don know. y'know... i'm hav- havin a lot of fun, so... don bother me, yea-h?"

she slurred her words. she was drunk, again.

"please mom, they should be home and they're not. i called them but they didn't pick up."

"t-try again."

and with that the call ended. i chewed on my fingernails as i got more worried every minute that passed.

ley always picks up his phone when i call him. always.

finally after half an hour the doorbell rung. i jumped up from the place on the carpet where i had sat down and ran to the front door. 

with a big smile i opened the door but it fell as soon as i saw a man in police uniform standing there instead of my brother and father. 

"hey kid, umm... am i right? is this the home of mr. rome june and mr. harley june?"

i nodded, panic boiling inside me.

"is your mom home?"

i shook my head while i stood there like frozen. 

please let it not be what i thing it is.

"i assume you're willow june then, right?"

i once again nodded.

"okay so... your father and brother got into a car accident. your brother is stable so far but your father..."

"w-what?"

my voice broke.

"i'm so sorry. he didn't make it."

i was eleven back then.

i bit my lip, shaking through sobs while trying to control and suppress them. the memories of that night were still so clear as if it happened yesterday. 

my mom never got home that night and i don't think she even cried when she got the news of my fathers death.  

she never loved my dad, neither did she care about my brother or me. 

well, she still doesn't.

-----

(790 words)

heyy. i miss your comments guys.

i thought now is a good time for some backstory.

how are you? 

<3