#14

"She's lost a lot of blood, April," the bald medical student put in the final stitches to close the wound. It was about 10 centimeters long and quite deep. His movements were sure and routine. Only he and April were together in the secluded care room with his patient.
For the first 15 minutes after their arrival, he was extremely tense. But with quick action and some intravenous doses of adrenaline and iron infusions, her condition could be stabilized. The care of the wound was almost relaxed.
What he was doing here was illegal. But he didn't care - the Hippocratic oath means everything to him, and talking April out of something was impossible anyway. He'd known her since high school and liked her and her loud, crazy ways. And she just seemed to be drawn to trouble...

"Will she recover?"

"I guess so. I'm going to put a waterproof plaster on her wound now. This must be changed every two days. I'll give you a few, you can get the rest at the pharmacy. I've added a strong broad spectrum antibiotic to the saline that's going through here to keep the wound from becoming infected. Nevertheless, you have to watch out for fever, circulatory problems, suppurating and swollen wound - if you notice something like that, you have to come back.
The stitches will dissolve on their own after about two weeks and don't need to be pulled." His words sounded calm, he had repeated them many times before

"And now I'm going to go to lost and found and get her something dry to wear. She's slightly hypothermic, her clothes are soaked through, and she shouldn't get sick in her condition."

He turned to go.

"It will just take a few minutes."

The door slammed shut and another opened. Leo and Donnie emerged from a large closet full of hospital linens, walked over to the gurney the young woman was lying on, and stood next to April.

"You heard everything...?" she asked

"Loud and clear," Leo replied, glanced at Donnie, who was looking down at her in silence. His face was closed, his posture tense. It was hard to tell what was on his brother's mind.

"Hey Donnie. She will be fine." April said softly, looking at him. His eyes were still on the young woman's face. Had he even heard April?

"Donnie...?"

"Yes, I heard you, April." he let out his breath slowly and shakily, "Sorry. That was a long night."

"What happened down there, D? What was that explosion? That was you, wasn't it?" asked Leo. He was suddenly quite impatient. What was wrong with Donnie and that girl? What did she do to him?

"Leo, these are questions for later. Firstly, we have to get her to safety. She is very weak." April insisted, "We'll clarify everything else together when were are back in the liar."

April gave Leo a piercing look that said, 'And your brother needs a break!'

Leo snorted. Well. He was impatient, but the events of the last few hours stuck in his bones too. He thought he lost him. His brother. His twin. For a moment, the feelings from before stabbed him in the heart. On impulse, he wrapped his arm around Donnie.

"Dee, I'm glad you're alive. I think I'll skip the butt kick."

"Leo, damn it!" spouted Donnie, because of the unexpected physical touch, but he didn't shake off Leo's arm. The blue one grinned. It was good to know that his brother was still the same - no matter what happened down there today.

"Aaah."

A weak sigh came from the young woman, Leo took his arm away and all three looked down at her, spellbound. She started to move and her eyes fluttered.

"Where...?" her voice was a barely audible whisper

"In safety." Donnie said softly, unable to suppress the impulse to put his hand on her forehead.