#18

Donnie was looking full of determination at his father's angry face, ready for any response, when a warning beep sounded from his gauntlet. He raised his arm and saw that her heart rate and blood pressure had increased. Without another word, he turned around and rushed to his room. The others stayed behind in surprised silence.

“Hnnnnng”

PLOMP

"Haaaah!" a pained sound escaped her lips as she fell to the floor next to Donnie's bed, still wrapped in the blanket.

She had an idea of ​​where she was, and she had to get out of here. Oh, she was so slow and weak! She gritted her teeth and began to crawl forward. A sharp pain shot through her leg, which made her dizzy. The wound – she recalled. The red water. The turtle holding her. She had been sure she was dying now, and it had seemed okay to her. She was so tired. 

Her vision blurred again. Oh no, you won't lose consciousness now! The horror awaits there and if it gets hold of you, then.. Go on! Continue! She stared at the door, saw the Bo there and suddenly the turtle was standing next to it, looking at her in shock. Her consciousness slipped again for a second, and she felt strong arms picking her up off the ground. Oh, no! No, no, no, no!

"No..." she whispered. She had to get out of here. Let me go!

"What are you doing?! You're badly injured, you need to rest! You're safe here!" she heard his startled voice as he carefully laid her back on the bed.

"But you… are not" she whispered and tried to open her eyes, which hardly wanted to obey her. It took sheer eternity. She sensed his concern, his confusion. Warmth flooded through her, the small flame danced up. She had to protect him! Cost what it may.

“Of course I'm safe here too!” said the purple one. He picked up the blanket from the floor and put it back over her. What had gotten into that girl?

Donnie saw her desperate face. Her fight. He wanted to calm her down as he sat down on the bed next to her.

"You don't have to worry, nothing can happen to us here," he said in a calm voice and brushed a strand of hair out of her face.

Then her eyes fluttered open, they looked at each other, and suddenly he recognized a nameless fear and infinite guilt. It was like being pulled into something that wasn't his. In a split second, an image appeared. A destroyed landscape with a blood-red sky opened up before his inner eye. He stood up in reflex because of the strong impression.
She inhaled with a "No!" and closed her eyes to break the contact, and the image was gone again.

"You need to… let me go." she said with the last of her strength. Her body relaxed as she slipped back into her sleep-like state.

Donnie looked down at her, startled. What was that? Did he read her mind? This picture. The destruction. Was that her past? Her fear?

His thoughts raced once again that night, and he looked at the sleeping young woman. Who are you? What happened to you that you are so scared?

He sighed, undecided as to what to do next, he checked the time. It was already dawn outside. The turtle suddenly felt infinitely drained and tired. He also needed to rest. Today there will be no more answers, and he decided not to ask any more questions either. He will not go back to his family. The others should take care of their father, he himself had enough for today, and something told him that he shouldn't leave her alone anymore.

Donnie walked over to his desk, wheeled his desk chair over to the bed, sat on it, let it slide down to level with the mattress and clicked the brakes on the castors. The whole night weighed on his shoulders, and suddenly he could hardly keep his eyes open. With an intuitive movement, he released his battleshell, which became transparent, seemed to fold up, and then dissolved. The same he did with his googles.

He looked at the young woman one last time, and he felt the flame. He resisted the urge to take her hand. Then, Donnie laid his upper body far back and locked the backrest. He rested his right arm on the bed next to her on the blanket.

“I promise,” he murmured as his thoughts drifted away, and he fell asleep in an instant.

A few moments later, his gauntlet display lit up and the thumbnail of the video footage appeared.