#71

"No Shiro. No, no, no, no, no!" Mikey followed her as she turned into the tunnel with the train tracks that led to the exit. Followed by Raph and Leo.

“We'll fix it, Shiro!!” said Raph desperately. Shiro wanted to start sprinting.

"Shiro." said Leo

She stopped. 

Turned to them. They were shocked. Her eyes filled with tears and loss as she looked up at them. They stopped at the sight of her.

"You three…" she began. "Would you please do me a favor?" she said and swallowed her tears.

"EVERYTHING!" exclaimed Mikey and Raph nodded. Leo just looked at her. He felt the twist in his chest.

Shiro walked up to Mikey and Raph and took them by the hands.

“The only thing I wish for is that your family stays together. That you take care of yourselves, that you trust each other, that you can count on each other." she said and Mikey started shaking.

"Mikey…" she stroked his cheek, "In you lie the wisdom of the whole world. Please trust that and who you are."

"No, Shiro…" he just managed to get out, but she let go of his hand. The tears overwhelmed him.

She turned to Raph.

"Raph… don't stop, okay? Don't stop protecting them. Please. Only you have the power to do it.” she looked up at him, Raph saw her will and knew: nothing they say will stop her from leaving. He swallowed hard and nodded.

"Leo…" Shiro turned to him

He crossed his arms and looked at her defiantly.

"No."

Leo didn't want to believe that she was leaving. He would not participate in this sentimental farewell round here. He refused to hear any last words from her and had a hunch that if he stubbornly refused to acknowledge her plan, she would desist. Everything had collapsed within a short time, they screwed it up completely. He, Donnie – both of them! And now Shiro was standing there, one foot at the abyss, and she will never get his consent to throw herself into it.

Shiro and Leo looked at each other. She smiled sadly, as if she saw through him like she always had. She walked towards him and looked up at him.

Shiro put a hand on his cheek and he smiled back at her. It seemed to Leo as if his plan was working. He felt a glimmer of hope rising in him, and he wanted to hug her, not let her go, hold her forever.

"Please forgive him." she whispered

Leo's eyes widened as he saw her turn and start to sprint. Here she had a clear path and she was faster than all of them.

"SHIRO!" he called after her. But she had already disappeared into the darkness of the tunnel.

Shiro heard Leo calling her, but she didn't hesitate and blinked away her tears. The days of crying were over. Now she only had one thing left to do, and for that she had to make her heart hard as a rock.

In the last few days, she had shed more tears than she had ever in her entire previous life. Maybe it was for the best, and now they were gone, and she was ready for what was to come.

Briefly she felt the flame flicker, but she concentrated with all her strength to smother it with her grief. Donnie had proved to her today that her time here was over. When she thought of him, it was like her heart was ripped in two. She had lost him to his fear and jealousy, and the loss of him, wanted to make her scream. But she took her feelings, wrapped them in mercilessness and pushed them far away.