#85

Leo felt a violent jerk in his chest and a sharp pain in his middle. He looked over at Mikey and Raph, whose eyes widened. Mikey clutched his chest.

"Oh no." whispered Leo and closed his eyes.

Shiro looked at her hands. They shone red from the fresh blood pouring from her wound. The pain was sharp and searing, radiating down her back. She heard Donnie shout something, but didn't hear it. There was a dull roaring in her ears, which only slowly got better.

She looked up and saw her mother's dead body lying on the floor in front of her. So she had fallen into this last trap of hers. Blind with hate. What a satisfaction it must have been for her to push her blade into her… and Shiro's mind stumbled, not knowing if she meant herself or her mother.

She closed her eyes and let her hand glow white. Her mother's body turned to dust. Katana and Bo fell to the dusty ground.

Shiro felt Donnie's hands supporting her and felt the flame inside her erupt violently. Raising his gauntlet and activating it, he called inside – but there was no answer. This area has been infested for hundreds of years.

She sighed. It wasn't fair. It never was.

“Donatello”

Donnie held Shiro in his arms and saw her looking down at her bloody hands that she had just been pressed over her deep wound. She didn't say anything, a look of disbelieving astonishment still on her face, which slowly distorted as the pain found its way into her consciousness and Donnie felt it one to one inside him.

His mind raced, stumbled, and fell as panic overtook him. Desperately clutching at a rescue that didn't exist, he yanked his gauntlet up and activated the communicator.

“LEO!? Do you hear me?! You must come here! Shiro is wounded! LEO, YOU HAVE TO COME HERE! DO YOU HEAR ME?"

But only a soft roar came as an answer, and he realized that he had to get out of this environment. He hastily activated his dronepack, frantically looking around for his Bo when he heard her.

"Donatello."

They looked at each other.

"Donnie, it's…too late." said Shiro and found it strange how difficult it was for her to speak. As if a heavy weight was on her chest.

She looked into Donnie's eyes and saw fear and panic unsteady his gaze.

"NO! I will save you!" he called and pulled her further into his arms. He would start NOW! Fuck the Bo! He felt the pain of her wound twitch through his body from his hasty movement and closed his eyes in despair.

"Donnie…"

He looked down at her. She smiled at him. His heart shattered into a thousand pieces. Reality cut his self. He got freezing cold.

"No… Shiro… stay with me." he said, carefully grasped her and pulled her onto his lap. Cupped her face.

"We have… a few more… minutes. We'll have to see… what to do with them… Donnie." said Shiro. Her breathing was heavy.

Suddenly, Donnie went quiet. A stillness settled in him that had been foreign to him before. Everything subsided in him, his thoughts stopped, the panic was gone. She was right. They still had a few minutes – did he want her to spend her last minutes with a blown, panicked Donnie? Who raced desperately through the air and, out of sheer fear, didn't notice how she slipped away from him?

He deactivated his battleshell and raised his hand and smiled down at her. Shiro smiled back. He brushed her strands out of her face, her hair was normal again now. Her Ninpo symbol and the surrounding flames were gone. There were no sparks in the air. Only his purple stripes and her white lines glowed bright and strong.

"Shiro…" Donnie was surprised at how calm his voice sounded. He realized there were no words for a moment like this. He leaned towards her, closed his eyes and gave her a kiss, as soft and calm as a deep lake at night.

Shiro closed her eyes as Donnie leaned down to her and felt his lips on hers for the last time. He had never kissed her like that, there was an infinite peace in it that took away her fear and made her sigh deeply.

When he pulled away, her eyes widened. Donnie saw her gaze and followed it down.

His clan symbol had lit up. He opened his mouth in surprise and looked at Shiro again, and then they both understood at the same time:

Polarity. To remain perfectly calm in the face of death.

Shiro slowly raised her left hand and looked at Donnie. He caught her eye and nodded.

She put her bloody hand on his clan symbol. Her hair became weightless again, the sparks rising around her. White swirling lines curled around her fingers and flowed into Donnie's Ninpo.

Shiro closed her eyes. And was drawn into infinity. She saw it. Donnie's Ninpo. The universe in her inner eye. Purple glowing, full of everything and empty at the same time. Her Ninpo. The ring. The brothers. A hunch, a balance. 

Donnie looked down at Shiro, her eyebrows raised in astonishment. She looked completely surprised. He found her indescribably beautiful.

Donnie closed his eyes.

A little girl with wild white hair stood alone in a large exercise room in front of the mirror that stretched the length of the wall. She bowed to her reflection and began the traditional sequence of kung fu stances. She smiled.

-

A boy sat in front of her, holding her arm and bandaging it. The pain burned, the wound was deep. He looked concentrated and wrapped the homemade bandage in practiced quick movements. Tears welled up in her eyes. But then he looked up at her

"Have I told you my latest joke yet?" he grinned cheekily, and her heart burst with love.

-

The darkness of the night enveloped them. Her little sister was in her arms, she was having a nightmare and crying in her sleep. Shiro sat up, caressed her hair and began to sing. Clear, sad and beautiful. Her voice echoed through the sparse, cold room and within a few seconds her sister was back in a deep, peaceful sleep. Shiro kept singing, looking down at her and never wanting to let her go.

-

A dark, empty garage. Lots of big puddles on the ground. She landed and was stopped by an outstretched Bo. Her eyes darted along the staff in shock and surprise, and Donnie found himself looking down at her.

-

And saw himself standing in the bathroom with her, she was catching the purple foam of toothpaste, looked at him and started to laugh.

-

And saw himself embracing her in bed, mumbling in his sleep.

"Stay with me forever."

And her soft answer

"I wish I could."

Donnie and Shiro opened their eyes. They looked at each other. Her hand was on his chest, a purple glow enveloped his body from head to toe. He took her hand in his.

"I love you, Hamato Donatello." she whispered

He felt the flame flickering, small and weak. She was already far away.

"I love you too, Shiro." he answered

She sighed and closed her eyes.

Donnie leaned his upper body down, tilted his head and embraced her tightly and completely. His purple glow covered them like a blanket, only to turn, after a few moments, into sparks that rose up with Shiro’s white ones, to lose themselves swirling above them.

The flame went out.

The light in his life

was

gone

.