#37

"I was hoping the coins would break the curse and sever my ties to my ancestors - But… I guess that's more of a plan B now."

"Or a plan never," Donnie said. "This option is out of the question."

Shiro looked at him sideways and said nothing. She put aside the coins Raph had brought.

"I'll bring them back when… it's all over." It seemed almost impossible to her that this madness would one day come to an end.

"How would these coins break the connection to your ancestors?" asked April interested. "They make a completely unmystical impression."

"I can't stress this enough: This option is NOT up for debate, April!" Donnie's voice was impatient.

"Hey come down! I was just curious!"

"You're a journalist, aren't you? I think you'd be in the wrong job if you weren't curious." Shiro smiled at April, who smiled back.

“I don't think this is the time to start making plans anyway. Draxum was right. The last few days have been a rollercoaster and full of new information, and it's better to let things sink in before moving on." Raph was stacking the empty pizza boxes, feeling very reasonable.

Draxum and Casey were already gone, and Leo and Mikey started arguing over the last piece of pizza. The atmosphere in the group was now chilled and familiar.

Shiro leaned back on the sofa. She was incredibly tired, but at the same time she enjoyed the company of the others too much. She didn't want to sleep…

At that thoughtless moment, she drew her legs up and had to wince. The painkillers helped somewhat, but she should really refrain from jerky movements.

Donnie, who was in the process of explaining the definition of the words “out of the question” to the eye-rolling April, turned to her.

"Everything okay?"

"Yes, yes. I was just… without thinking, I put my legs up and well…”

He touched her arm. Splinter let out a "HrrrrgH!" as he flinched again. Mikey looked at him, shaking his head.

"You're cold! Why aren't you saying anything? You are still…”

"I also brought a hoodie." said April

"Oh, Shiro, Donnie sure can warm you up!" Leo said, leaning across the sofa at them with a lewd grin.

"Leo, I swear…" Donnie was about to explode when Shiro put her hand on his arm and gave him a quick look. He paused.

She leaned up and grinned back at Leo, who suddenly became unsure.

"I think we should clarify something."

Then she looked over at Splinter, who had just recovered from his flinch.

"YOU Hamato Yoshi, should finally get yourself together, because as you can see, this is absolutely harmless."

She leaned towards Donnie, who was wide-eyed in anticipation of what was to come, cupped his face in both hands and half sank onto his plastron as she gave him a deep kiss. Donnie was momentarily taken aback, but when he saw her approaching, he couldn't help but close his eyes and embrace her with his arms. It seemed to him like a law of nature against which he was completely powerless.

Shiro broke away from him again, looked at him with a big smile, and then leaned over to Leo, who was still hanging over the back of the sofa and was now staring. She reached over to him and ran her finger from his cheek to under his chin. Their faces were very close now.

"And you, Hamato Leonardo, should grow up, because as you can see, I already know for a fact that Donnie can warm me up." Her tone was at least as suggestive as his grin before, and he looked at her completely dumbfounded.

"April, can you help me? I think a hoodie really wouldn't be bad…"

April had watched the spectacle speechless and now woke up from her rigidity.

"Oh! Yes of course!”

Everyone's eyes followed the two women out of the room, and then turned around again. Their faces were blank. Raph and Mikey had their jaws dropped. They looked at Leo, whose head could no longer be distinguished from a tomato, he was still looking at the door where April and Shiro had just disappeared. 

Leo turned his gaze to Donnie. The purple one had recovered himself, folded his arms behind his head and leaned back with a completely satisfied expression on his face while he glanced back at his brother. 

Splinter cleared his throat, adjusted his not-messy clothes, and then said in as neutral a voice as possible

"I'm going to sleep. Good night."

And disappeared too.

Everyone was still staring at each other wide-eyed, except for Donnie, who had taken a liking to the others' shock and made an inward estimation of how long it had lasted by now.

"Holy shit, this was the sickest burn OF THE YEAR!" Mikey had regained his composure and was now pointing at Leo.

"Ehm… so… I…"

"And you know what, Leo? You deserved it. Those comments…” Raph shook his head

“Since when… did you…? Are you…?" Leo's thoughts didn't quite want to come together yet. He couldn't believe it! What woman would fall for a nerd like his brother? And then also SUCH A woman?! THIS woman!?

And yet it had happened, and she had now defeated him not only in physical combat, but also in rhetoric. Oh, he felt like a fool.

"Yes Leonardo? Is there anything else you want to say?" Donnie raised an eyebrow.

"No…"

"Then, gentlemen," Donnie said, standing up with a flourish, "I wish you a good night's sleep, as well." He took the empty pizza boxes and left the room.

Leo grimaced and facepalmed with both hands.

"What a damn lucky guy." said Raph when Donnie was gone and Mikey nodded.