#38

"Heaven, you gambled high!" said April as they sat in the kitchen. Shiro was now wearing Aprils gray hoodie, which who had been given as a gift but had never worn. April thought yellow suited her better.

"Gambled high?"

“Yeah, just when you kissed Donnie. Splinter would have gone completely nuts if the flames had reappeared, and THAT would have been a real drama…"

"Flames?!"

"Oh, you don't know about the flames?"

It dawned on Shiro. Donnie rushing into the kitchen just after she fell off her chair…

"Please enlighten me!"

"When you were about to leave a few hours ago, here in the kitchen. There you and Donnie were on fire shortly before you passed out. And when the two of you… well, when I put the clothes down with you in the med lab, it was the same. White flames on you, purple on Donnie. They envelop you and seem to be temperatureless. You didn't notice them?"

"No. I was… we were…”

"Distracted." Donnie was standing in the doorway with a stack of empty pizza boxes.

April and Shiro turned their heads. Shiro frowned. She hadn't heard him coming, normally her senses were always be aware of her surroundings. She admitted to herself that she was really very tired.

Donnie walked in with them and put the empty boxes in the corner with the others.

"The same flames as here in the kitchen…?" he asked April

“Yes, exactly the same. But they didn't disappear as quick as here. They were stable. And your purple stripes glowed too." she pointed to Donnie's arm, "Eh. Have they grown?!”

Surprised, Donnie and Shiro followed April's gaze and the turtle had to admit: Yes, they had grown longer. Another spike had formed, from which the strip was a long way off. Was it the same with the ones on his legs? He couldn't check it right now because he had his pants on.

"That's very interesting!" it escaped him, and he flipped down his googles to examine the stripes on his arms.

"How long did the flames last?" asked Shiro addressed to April.

"I don't know. I was out very quickly." she grinned.

"Oh. Yes. Okay. Thanks." Shiro blushed a little bit.

"Girl, you're really awesome! You just blew out the super burn on Leo, and now you're sitting here and blushing!" April had to laugh.

"Oh. Hm. Yeah, I guess… nobody is tough all the time, right?” she said with a small smile

April paused. She was right. Those were wise words. They looked at each other smiling.
Donnie flipped his googles up again.

“What do the flames mean? Can they become dangerous? Like the Bo in the garage?” Shiro picked up the subject again

"I have a strong suspicion that they have something to do with our connection. You know… the flame?" he put his hand over his plastron, and they exchanged a look.

"Yes… there are still many unanswered questions." Shiro couldn't suppress a yawn. Her lids were heavy as lead, and she had to rub her eyes.

Donnie looked down at her lovingly. He couldn't believe his luck. How she sat there!

"You need to rest."
He reached behind her and pulled the hood over her head. She looked up with big eyes and a silent 'Oh’ before she started smiling at him. Donnie was enchanted.
How was it possible that she appeared so tough and yet so vulnerable at the same time?