#88

"Donnie! Donnie, Donnie, Donnie! Do you hear me? Listen, Shiro is alive! She lives! She's in April's Doctor friend's hospital and she's alive! You can wake up now, Donnie! Donnie?"

"Leo…?"

"Mikey…"

Mikey stepped to Leo's side. They stood by Donnie's bed and looked down at him. He was still just lying there, eyes closed, breathing evenly. His wrists and ankles were bandaged, as were his brothers' injuries.

He didn't move.

Raph looked into the room and joined them. He placed his two younger brothers' hands on their shoulders from behind.

"And when we…?" Mikey asked on impulse, gently placing his fingers on Donnie's arm

Leo saw what Mikey was getting at and reached out for his twin as well.

They closed their eyes. Their marks glowed, but Donnie's didn't. They stayed like that for a few moments, trying to call their brother. To reach him. But nothing happened. No wonder joined them. No liberation awaited the turtles.

Mikey started to sob. Leo clenched his fists. Raph made a desperate face and then took Leo and Mikey in his arms.

Darkness.

She was so tired. Was she asleep? How long has she been here? Where was the way?

She didn't know.

Concentration!

Shiro tried to remember what it was like to have a body. Clench fists, gritting teeth.

I have to go back. Where is the way?

The incorporeality was hard to endure, what should she hold on to?

zzzing

A little light in her, deep inside. Vibrant, alive. Or was it far away? Where was inside, where was outside

Focus!

A shiver.

"Daughter."

Fright. Freeze.

"My daughter. I can see you, but you are far away. Where are you?"

Mistrust. Watch. Stillness.

“I see your energy, you did it… but listen, you have to be careful. Your Ninpo is not what it seems. You must hide it, the Onna-Bugeisha…”

A tug.

Darkness.

Disbelief.

"Father…?" a whisper.

She was alone again.

Where was the light?

She had lost it.

“She is guarded day and night, April. I'm not allowed in her room. I was just lucky that I was on my shift the night you got here. You know, I'm just an assistant-doctor, I don't have access to her. Her file is now also locked in the system.”

It was getting dark and he was tired. His 24-hour shift was over and April escorted him through the hallways to the exit.

“It's only the grapevine that speaks of nothing but her. Some of her vital signs appear to be worryingly high. They say she's being transferred tomorrow night to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, where they have better… research facilities. The government wants to apply a guardianship for her.” his voice was angry and sad.