#73

Donnie stood in a sphere of light. Luminous lines of purple ran in geometric, precise figures along its case, accompanied by white, swirling, elegant lines. They shone down on him in a supernatural, soft light, and of course he immediately recognized what Shiro had created with his Bo a moment ago.

Bigger than it was underwater, about four meters in diameter. The sphere's hull dipped into the ground beneath their feet, and Donnie wondered if the lower half could still be seen one floor below.

“Below us is a restaurant. It is closed. Nobody notices." Shiro said as if she had read his mind.

He looked at her. She stood in front of him, holding his glowing Bo. White lines snaked around it, barely visible. The light turned her hair purple, her eyes shone.

"I have improved it. The shell is now doubled. The round shape allows an ideal absorption and abstraction of all kinds of energy. It is impenetrable. Except for water and air. I don't have a solution yet…" she explained and pointed to her sphere.

"Shiro…" Donnie began

"Also, the Bo no longer needs to be held for stability." she continued. Donnie could tell she was nervous.

"Shiro." Donnie said a little more urgently, approached her and put his hands around her face. "What on earth are you trying to protect us from?"

She looked up at him, he saw something in her eyes that suddenly made his heart beat very fast. She smiled at him.

"The sphere is not meant to protect us, Donnie." Donnie saw her wet her lips in a small motion, and he couldn't believe what was coming to his mind. But Shiro kept talking.

"It's meant to protect the world from us."

"And you're sure about that?" asked Donnie Shiro, who had put the Bo aside and was looking at the still glowing lines of the dome with satisfaction.

"No, honestly not, Donnie." she said, and turned back to him. Donnie was still standing in front of the couch, stunned, trying to organize his thoughts.

"I'm fairly certain that our sphere here will withstand the energy we're generating and as a result no one outside of it will be harmed." She approached cautiously, but stayed a careful distance.

“But what happens to those inside this sphere, I can't estimate.” she added, looking at Donnie.

Donnie looked at Shiro. She had stopped an arm's length from him. She had explained her plan to him, and for the first time he had the feeling that he was now completely privy to her intentions. There was nothing she was hiding from him anymore, no hidden back door she could slip out of.

Now it was his turn to say something. He eyed the sphere and knew they could only guess as to their chances of survival, because he hadn't yet been able to measure the energy created between them or what it was doing to their bodies, if they would dare into that feeling of charging.

Shiro watched Donnie a little uncertainly. She could almost hear what he was thinking, and it seemed to her that they were approaching a point of no return that they both yearn for so much but feared now that things were getting serious, and the consequences were incalculable.

"Like I said…" she sighted, "The plan is completely insane and…"

Donnie looked at her. Shiro choked on the rest of the sentence as she saw his eyes. He stepped close to her and looked down at her. She saw his battleshell and googles deactivate, and suddenly she was incredibly nervous. Like back then, with their first kiss. She wasn't prepared for this.