#23

She woke up. She felt the quiet slowness with which her consciousness surfaced, and she was warm. She felt the blanket on her and that she was lying on something soft. Even her feet were warm!

Was she dead? What does that mean? No scream, no white electric flashes, no destruction, no coldness, no madness in her eyes... No tears, no despair?

She just woke up like she woke up then, a long, long time ago. Normal. Calm. Rested?

I must be dead

She shifted a little, and the pain in her left leg took her breath away for a moment.

Okay, I take it back. I'm not dead.

She felt that she was holding something in her hands, and the image of the Bo that she didn't want to let go of came to her mind.

Open your eyes, come on.

She opened her eyes and the first thing she saw was purple. Then a chair next to her, with a sleeping figure. He! His head was tilted to the side, and his breathing was calm and deep. She felt the flame glow.

One look down at him, and she realized she was holding his hand in her hands. It was warm and larger than hers. She felt the calluses and rough spots. Training.

She was thirsty. And she was weak. She now felt her battered body. Everything hurt. She didn't want to wake him and closed her eyes again.

Fatigue seized her. What did that mean? Why did I wake up normally? Her thoughts drifted away and slipped back into a deep sleep.

Donnie felt as if he had sensed movement and was a little irritated that he wasn't in his bed, but recovered quickly as he more often fell asleep at his desk or in the lab over his work. His dream had been intense, but could not catch the images. Then he felt something in his right hand and felt the flame. Suddenly EVERYTHING came back to him, and the memory of his strange dream vanished. He opened his eyes.

There she lay! Relief washed over him. Then he realized she was holding his hand in hers. She held it tight, and he felt as if someone had released a million butterflies inside him. Stunned, he looked at her and noticed that an almost invisible smile played on her lips - and a wave of affection flowed through him. He let out a deep exhale and tried to memorize the image forever.

He shook his head in disbelief, thinking to himself that he needed a new mental filing cabinet for all these intense emotions. How did others stand it? It was so exhausting and yet - incredibly fulfilling.

Donnie would have liked to check her vitals, but he didn't want to take his hand from hers, and so he trusted the flame that burned small but strong inside him.

The turtle leaned back all the way and smiled at her until his eyes closed again

"Are they still asleep?"

“Yes, I just checked. What about April?"

Mikey didn't tell Raph that Donnie and the girl were holding hands. It was super-duper difficult for him, but he felt he had to protect his brother's privacy after Leo had just rummaged around in his recordings.

"I just spoke to her and told her that she could lie down for a few more hours because it's quiet around here. She almost sounded relieved!"

"Oh poor April."

"Yeah, where's Dad?"

"I think he watches his series…?"

"All right, come on. We ask Leo if he wants to game. He has to stop staring at his wall."