#89

Casey carried Shiro. He had picked her up with her bed covers, and she still seemed light to him as he looked down at her. Her head was on his chest, she looked asleep, just like Donnie. But her breathing was rapid, as if she were dreaming. The reading of her heart rate had irritated him… to say nothing of her other changes…

Now he was standing in Donnie's room. Everyone was there except April. She had to have a watertight alibi, government officials are going to grill her first when Shiro's disappearance was discovered. He was glad he hadn't left his personal details behind on the night of her arrival.

He slowly walked towards Donnie's bed. He lay there unchanged. Stretched out, arms over the covers, bandana, battleshell and googles were gone. His gauntlet was on the desk next to Shiro's bracelet. His eyes darted briefly over the dents in the wall – the crushed headboard of the bed. 

A tense silence fell over the group. Baron Draxum remained standing in the doorway. Mikey held on to Raph, who had his hand on Splinter's shoulder. Leo was with Casey and helped him carefully place Shiro next to Donnie. It was difficult, the bed was too narrow… and so they draped Shiro halfway onto the turtle in silence. Her head was resting on his shoulder now, her body between Donnie's plastron and his arm.

They resigned.

Nobody said a word.

They waited.

Darkness.

She was lost in this darkness. She ran without making any progress. Her thoughts were chaotic and confused. Despair had crept into her heart. This would be her prison. For all eternity. But she didn't give up. Suddenly she stopped.

"You can't break me, you damned darkness. Not in life and not in death." she said. Her will burned wildly within her, unbreakable.

Then she saw the little light again. Was it in her? Or outside? Oh, fuck it!

On impulse, she let her consciousness jumped into it.

Everything turned white.

The flame lit up in her.

"Shiro?"

"Donnie!"

Everyone gasped. Donnie's stripes and Shiro's lines began to glow! They now went up to her hands.

Donnie let out a deep sigh.

And as if guided by an invisible energy, he raised his arms to embrace Shiro. It was a law of nature against which he was completely powerless.

Shiro took a deep breath.

She felt Donnie's closeness, his skin, his arms around her. And as if it were a law of nature, her swirling thoughts instantly calmed.

Leo fell to his knees sobbing. Casey put his hand on his shoulder. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Splinter and Mikey were in tears. Raph turned to Draxum. They smiled at each other.

Donnie slowly opened his eyes. He looked down. His eyes widened. His hands felt Shiro and…

"Shiro, your hair is long!" he whispered, his voice hoarse

She held on to him, lifted her head slightly and looked down.

"No shit?"

A wild mane of white hair lay on her, down her back to her waist.