Christmas was fine.

A/N: It's official I'm in my sad era lol, don't worry this is the last sad oneshot. For now. I found this HC in a TikTok and I've decided to use it as inspiration and put my own spin on it. 
Hope you enjoy
TW'S: flinching, mentions of blood

Regulus boarded the train, tired and ready
for it all to be over. Sirius had left on the very first day of Christmas, leaving him all alone all break. Let's just say...it wasn't fun. He sat in a compartment at the very back of the train hoping no one would join him. He didn't have the social battery for it. Not today. Silence filled the room as his tired eyes lurked out the window. The only sound that could be heard was his bouncing leg hitting the floor and part of the seat. Regulus sat there chewing the inside of his cheek. He swore he tasted iron. Blood. Regulus sat in the compartment for a few minutes, his thoughts swallowing him up whole. It was like that for the duration of the train ride to Hogwarts.

"I'm sorry..." that was the first thing Sirius had said to his brother since he left for the Potter's. The first week of school was over and pretty much anyone and everyone had heard about Sirius running away. Rumours and assumptions had spread around the school like wild fire. Yet nobody knew what actually happened. Not even James fucking Potter. Only the two brothers knew. "I know..." Regulus mumbled, before turning his back as if to walk away and never return. "Reggie?" Sirius croaked out, his voice cracking towards the end. Regulus stopped for a brief moment. Not turning around. But, he could almost hear the silent tears rolling down his brother's cheeks. Regulus was numb and broken. He knew his body was there physically, but in no way shape or form was it there mentally. He was exhausted. His eyes haven't fallen shut properly in weeks, the huge purple bags under his eyes told you that story. He was terrified. He often disassociated with himself. He was like a walking corpse, void of emotions unless he was alone. He felt dead. He was dead. Inside.

Regulus wasn't the same after that Christmas.
He never was.

Regulus turned around slowly to face his brother. Nobody else was there with him. Just them. Like it should be. Like it'll never be again. Never. More silent tears cascaded down Sirius' face at the sight of his brother. It was Regulus. Then again it wasn't. Sirius could almost see the ghost of the Regulus he knew, leaned over his brother's shoulder. The one that was snatched away. Because of him.

Regulus wasn't smirking or judging people silently. He wasn't standing proud with his chin up. He look weak and shallow, dark purple bags underneath his icy grey eyes, skinnier than Sirius had ever seen him before. It scared him how skinny he was. It scared him to see his brother like this. He looked limp and fragile, like even the smallest touch would shatter him into a million pieces.

"What happened?... In that house, when I left?..." Sirius said, his eyes not moving from Regulus' unhealthily pale face. Regulus was silent. Silence lingered in the empty corridor like a foul aroma. The only sound was the rumbling thunder and rain splattering on the window, making Regulus flinch every time there was a bang outside.

"Your punishment" Regulus finally whispered breaking the silence.

Sirius' heart dropped into his stomach. His punishment? For leaving that hell hole? What did he mean?

Regulus had been punished before, just the same as Sirius had. He knew the pain, he felt it with every fibre of his being. Although this was different Sirius had never seen his little brother like this...

Regulus turned and walked away, brushing past his brother entering the now very busy corridor. He just just kept his head down and ignored all of the stares and whispering as he trailed along. Sirius watched him leave, just like he had done. Then he felt a pang of guilt tug at his chest. He had never felt this guilty before. Ever.

That wasn't his little brother.
That was his parent's creation.