A Narrow Escape

'Who else can know the life of sacrifice better than me?'
Karan read Tejasswi's text and realized he had scratched her old scar.

"Ahh, I am an inconsiderate jerk." Karan monologued.

He got up from the bed and put on slippers to go see Tejasswi and apologize, but stopped receiving the next text.

'Don't curse yourself or come down. I am fine. Let's call it a night and sleep tight.'

"Hmm, she got to know me too well in a short span of time. No girl can be more perfect than a guy can expect."

'Fine, good night.'

Tejasswi again smiled faintly and closed the chat window.
Shamita felt a shooting pain in her heart after seeing Tejasswi's shy smile while chatting, which said it all. She felt slightly envious of her, which she struggled to overcome.

"You are looking quite teary; is everything ok with Karan? Is he upset that you're not with him?" Shamita asked with curiosity.

Though she was trying to get over Karan, she couldn't help but peek into his life with his wife.

Tejasswi found her question inappropriate but acted easily and replied calmly. "No, he isn't."

"Ahh, that sounds like relief; otherwise,  I was drowning in guilt. You two are too benevolent. Speaking of which, how and when did you both meet for the first time and get married?"

Shamita showed her interest in their love story and pushed Tejasswi into the abyss of deep thoughts.

She couldn't figure out what to reveal and what to censor about them to his family, oblivious how much they already knew about them. This is not an ordinary story.

"I am sorry to say, but I am not the right person to disclose this. You better ask Karan."

Tejasswi wasn't pompous about it, but she had to turn down Shamita.

"As he will share with me." Shamita mumbled.

"By the way, you were in a 3-year years long relatioship with Rohan Kapoor, weren't you?" Shamita asked this and looked at Tejasswi tentatively.

"Yes, I was." Tejasswi refuted it casually.

She doesn't feel anything anymore while talking about Rohan. In the morning, after bidding her last adieu, she finally let go of all the emotions related to Rohan.

"Wasn't he good to you?"
Shamita asked a bitter question to get some reaction from Tejasswi, but it didn't work. In fact, outside the room, Karan flinched.

Even though Tejasswi asked him to sleep, he felt guilty for upseting her and came down to see her, but stopped listening to Shamita's questionnaire about them.

Her last question sulked Karan. He wanted to barge in and retort her nicely, but Tejasswi handled it well.

"Of course he wasn't; otherwise, why would I get married to Karan?"

Even Karan got that Tejasswi had no emotions for Rohan. This displeased Shamita.

"Hmm, true......"

"Speaking of which, you know quite a lot about me." Now Tejasswi fired a question.

She wasn't appreciating Shamita's out-of-the blue questionnaire in her heart.

"Of course I should. Not only you, but I know your industry quite well. Actually, I wanted to be an actress before."

Tejasswi knew this but played oblivious. "I see, then what stopped you?"

Outside of the room, Karan chuckled, still eavesdropping and knowing Tejasswi's act.