Chapter 42

"Niall! Leave the dog alone!" I yelled

"I just want him to play with me!" Niall said as he chased the dog around the house.

Mason was getting bigger as he was about six and half months old now. He could run faster and eat more, but he was still a puppy.

It was early December and the boys had come over to just hang out and catch up. We only saw them about three or four times a month now because Harry and I were usually pretty busy. We wanted to try and make more time for them though.

Zayn, Liam, Harry and I were sitting in the living room with the fireplace on and beers in our hands just chatting.

"So have you guys found out if it's a boy or a girl yet?" Liam asked.

"Not yet, we should find out in about two weeks." Harry said as he smiled over at me.

"Do you know which room upstairs you're going to use for the nursery? You have what, two extra rooms?" Zayn chipped in.

"I think we're going use the room with the bathroom that is connected to the office." I said.

They both nodded and smiled at Harry and I.

I picked up my beer and took one final sip before finishing it.

"I'm going to get another beer. Any of you guys want one?" I asked.

"I'm good babe thanks." Harry said.

Liam looked over to me. "I'll take another one."

I chuckled to myself. "Sorry Li you only get one. I'll grab you ginger ale or something."

I heard Zayn laugh and saw him get up from the couch he was sharing with Liam.

"I'll help you Lou." He said as he walked towards me.

He and I walked out of the living room and I nearly fell over as a force knocked into me. Zayn caught me as I stumbled backwards as I looked for what hit me.

"Niall, seriously go sit down in the living room and leave Mason alone, he clearly doesn't want to be near you!"

He huffed out a puff of air in annoyance and sagged his shoulders. "Fine." He said.

"We're getting more beers, do you want one?" I asked.

"Of course." He said as he walked into the living room.

I nodded and Zayn and I made our way into the kitchen. I walked over to the fridge as Zayn leaned against the counter, just watching me. I grabbed two beers and a ginger ale for Liam out of the fridge and turned back to Zayn who was just staring at me.

"What?" I asked.

"How are you Lou?"

"I'm fine..." I said as I looked at him oddly.

"Just fine?"

I shrugged. "Well no actually, I'm great I suppose. Harry and I are good, the house is officially in order after the move and there's the baby coming... Everything is just coming together I guess." I smiled at him and he returned it with a soft expression. "Why do you ask?"

"You're my best friend Louis, I want to make sure you're okay."

I looked at him but he looked like he had something on his mind.

"Well how are you?" I asked. "You look like you're thinking about something else. And not that I don't appreciate your concern for me because I know I'm the most important thing in your life beside Liam, but something else seems to be up with you."

He chuckled and looked at the counter top for a second before looking back at me.

"I actually did want to talk to you about something." He said.

"Alright, what is it, c'mon spit it out!" I said excitedly.

He smiled at me before combing his fingers in his hair. "I wanted to ask Liam to marry me..."

My mouth opened slightly as I looked at him and he had a shy smile.

"Oh my God, Zayn that's awesome!!" I moved to hug him and he returned it, tucking his head into my neck.

"So when are you going to ask him?" I asked as I pulled away.

"I was hoping to this weekend." He said as he rubbed the back of his head. "I made reservations at this nice restaurant and I thought I could do it there." He looked at me with a sheepish smile.

"Zayn that sounds perfect... Congratulations buddy really. I'm so happy for you." I smiled at him and he returned it.

"He hasn't even said yes yet Lou." He said with a chuckle.

"Yeah but if I know Liam he will definitely say yes. I mean you guys have been together forever!"

He chuckled. "Just three years and four months but who's counting right?"

I laughed and clapped a hand on his back. "Seriously Zayn, congrats. And thanks for telling me, it means a lot."

"Of course Lou, we're best friends." He smiled at me.

"Oi where's that beer?!" I heard Niall yell.

I huffed out a puff of air, rolling my eyes. "It's coming Ni, gimme one sec!" I turned to look at Zayn before grabbing the beers and ginger ale and going back into the living room.

I gave Liam his ginger ale and passed Niall his beer as I moved to sit next to Harry on one of the couches. He smiled at me as I sat down and wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me in close to him. I smiled back at him and leaned into his touch.

"What were you guys talking about in the kitchen?" He whispered to me.

I turned to him and he looked concerned. "I'll tell you later, It's nothing to worry about though."

He nodded and I looked over to Liam and Zayn. They were smiling at each other and lost in their own little world as they talked. I smiled to myself as I watched them just sitting on the couch, completely absorbed in each other.

I knew that Liam would say yes, and I couldn't be more proud of my best friend. He saw me looking at the two of them and offered me a smile. I nodded my head slightly, raising the beer to my lips and smiling to myself as I took a sip.