9

Adora

My phone chimed and I pulled it out of my purse as I opened the door to my building, sliding my thumb across the screen.

[From: Baby]
Sorry I didn't get the chance to see you this morning. Came in early so I could come home early for the boys' bday. You okay?

"Morning," one of my employees and newfound close friends, Alex, greeted, holding a coffee out to me.

"Good morning," I greeted, grabbing the coffee with a smile.

I placed it on my desk and responded to Santiago.

[To: Baby]
It's okay baby, swing by and see me today if you have a chance 😽 we have plans for the boys tonight?

I smiled and placed my phone on my desk, making Alex just cock her head over. "Y-you okay?"

"Yeah," I said, "yeah, I'm great, why?"

She just darted her eyes down to my legs, shaking her head with wide eyes. "You're limping."

My lips just parted and I pursed them together, biting down on my bottom lip. I was looking for a good explanation.

"I'm just really sore," I said, "I worked out when I got home last night."

She just nodded slowly, a grin tugging at her lips.

I could feel the embarrassment on my face. Was I really limping?

"There's just a weird part of me that feels like that's not the case-"

"Don't say anything," I whisper-yelled, sitting down at my desk.

"So the rumors are true," she said, smiling down at me.

"What rumors?" I asked, furrowing my brows together up at her.

"That Mr. King knows how to ruin insides, if you get what I'm saying," she suggestively said, wriggling her eyebrows.

"Hmm," I muttered, opening my laptop.

Yes, those rumors are true.

"You just totally avoided that question," she said, folding her arms over her chest.

"Yes, well, I do not enjoy discussing those kinds of rumors," I said, "even with you."

She rolled her eyes with a smile. "They're true. Hey, can I take lunch a few minutes early today? I have a guy that offered to take me out. And he's paying, so."

"Yes, knock yourself out," I said, smiling up at her.

"Best boss ever," she sang, shooting me a wide smile as she walked off. She walked to the top floor and I just sighed, brushing my hair away from my face.

I heard my door open and heavy footsteps walk in, smiling.

I knew it was Santiago, no one else could make their presence noticeable by just walking in a room.

I felt a hand wrap around my neck lightly, soft lips press against my ear.

"Hi, to you, too," I greeted, cocking my head over.