31

a week later

Santiago

"A chiropractor."

I closed my eyes and let out a sigh, looking over at Adora.

"People say that's the only thing that can fix it," she said.

"How the hell does a chiropractor help with your pelvis," I nonchalantly asked, flexing my jaw muscle.

"You'd be surprised."

The doctor was right- it had already gotten worse and only a week had passed. Adora couldn't walk on her own without the support of a wall, or the boys and I.

I hated seeing her breaking.

I couldn't even fathom the pain she was going through. And I ultimately felt like the world's worst husband, watching her break and not doing anything about it, solely because I didn't have the power to do anything.

"Here, help me up," she said, biting down on her bottom lip as she held a hand out to me.

I grabbed her hand and pulled her up carefully, making her let out a breath. "Look at that, easy as pie."

I looked at her, and I knew that it wasn't easy for her.

"You're lying to me and you."

"I'm not lying," she said, "I'm f-fine."

She shot me a weak smile, making me shake my head and flex my jaw muscle. "Adora, you still have five more months of this."

"I can handle it," she snapped, "can you?"

"You know, really, I don't know," I said, "I can't keep watching this. I won't."

"And that's why I brought up the chiropractor."

I began to open my mouth but she stopped me.

"Isn't it worth even a shot?" She asked, "the thought of it helping me in the slightest, that's worth it. I mean, I figured it would be to you."

"It is, Adora," I said, "but what if that doesn't last?"

"Then we find another solution," she said, "okay, I can handle pain. As long as the baby's fine, I'm fine."

"Stop saying that, Adora," I groaned out, "you are not fine. And I'm not sure if you're mistaken, or not, but that kid is doing that to you."

"Don't say it like that," she said, furrowed brows, "you're acting like it's the baby's fault, it's not."

I flexed my jaw muscle and shook my head. "You don't need to be stressed out because of an argument-"

"Too late-"

"Hey guys," the boys greeted, throwing their backpacks down on the floor.

We both just looked over at the door and I sighed, looking over at Adora.

"Hey, guys," she greeted, smiling.

"You good today?" Jo asked, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

The boys had really taken initiative and really made sure she was as comfortable as she could be. As terrible as it was to admit it, I wasn't really doing a good job at keeping her de-stressed, solely because I was stressed out with her.

"I'm okay," she said, grinning up at him, "hey, help me into the kitchen. I'm going to make you guys a sn-"

"No, you're not," Fred said, "you're going to sit down."