37

Josiah

I found myself going to the library more often.

Why?

Well that wasn't a question I could answer.

Truthfully, at least.

I opened the door and the corner of my mouth pulled up at the sight of Miss Lawrence, sitting on the table in front of the door.

She looked up from her book and smiled. "Hi, Josiah."

"Hey," I greeted, "miss Lawrence."

She hopped off of the table and I furrowed my brows together at the sight of her wearing jeans. "Jeans?"

"Uh, yeah. It was that teachers pay five dollars that gets donated to some charity and we get to wear jeans day. You like them?"

She spun around with a smile.

I just nodded, grinning. "I wouldn't have paid five dollars to wear jeans, but we all have our priorities."

"Yeah, you're right. That was probably a meal for one night thrown away. But it's fine."

She folded her arms over her chest, accentuating her already apparent cleavage as we began walking through the aisles.

Jo.

"You looking for a specific book?" She asked, "or are you just aimlessly wandering in here these days?"

I just looked over at her with a smile. "I can't tell anymore."

She just grinned. "You're pretty much the only company I get in here, so. Apparently teenagers aren't interested in books anymore."

"Yeah, if people come in here, it's not for the books, that's for sure," I said.

She just laughed, looking over at me. "Was that a sixteen year old crush kicking in?"

I just shook my head with a laugh. "No. But you have a reputation now of being the most attractive librarian that's ever worked here."

She sucked in a breath. "Don't you think that's not that hard to beat?"

I just laughed a genuine laugh. "You said it."

She just looked up at me, a grin on her face. "Why don't you call me Catherine, Josiah?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, why do you call me by my full name?"

"Well, what does everyone else call you?" She asked, leaning against the book shelf, grinning.

"I have a few nicknames that I won't let you in on," I said, "but it's just Jo."

She just nodded, a smile on her face. "It's fitting."

"Yeah?" I asked, looking over at her.

She just nodded again. Her eyes were boring into mine and I didn't know exactly how to feel, so I cleared my throat. "It's cold out today. Really cold, actually."

"Yeah?" She asked, "I'm the idiot that forgot my coat on the coldest day of the year so far."

Offer her your jacket, idiot.

"Sounds like a you problem," I said, shooting her a playful grin before I began to walk further down the aisle.

She laughed, following. "What are you actually in here for, Jo?"

I just stopped and sighed, leaning against the bookshelf. "I don't know, if you want me to be honest."

She just gazed at me so intensely.