28

Freddy

I pulled away from the girl in the passenger seat of my car, licking my lips. I'd somehow sucked off ninety-nine percent of her lip gloss that she had on.

"Wait, why'd you pull away?" She asked, smiling as she wrapped her hand around the back of my neck again, pressing her lips against my own.

"Because the bell is about to ring," I said, pushing myself away from her, "I can't be late today."

"Oh, come on," she said, "I didn't think you cared about getting to school on time."

"Yeah, it's usually not my first priority," I said, "but I have this big chem test that pretty much determines if I pass the class or not."

She flipped open the mirror on her side, smiling. "I see you took most of my lip gloss."

"Yeah, it tasted good," I said, resting my elbow on the door as I looked out of my window.

My eyes went wide as soon as they landed on Liss. Things between Liss and I really hadn't ended badly, but we just fell off. And sometimes, falling off without an explanation was worse than getting in some huge fight.

I just sighed and cleared my throat, looking over at Claire.

"We have that big assembly thing today, don't we?" She asked, lathering her lips up in gloss, "for you football players?"

She shot me a grin and I nodded. "Yeah. Jo and I are pretty much in charge of putting it together. Which is nice, we get out of first block early."

"Ooh, can I come?" She asked, grinning.

I just smiled.

"Metaphorically speaking, of course," she said, smiling as she tucked her lip gloss away in her bag, "I'll see you at lunch, yeah?"

"Mm hmm," I said.

"Okay," she said, "well, thanks for the ride."

"Yeah," I said, nodding.

She reached over and adjusted my beanie. "It was falling off."

I just smiled and opened my door, grabbing my backpack. I slung it over my shoulder and closed my door, walking over to her side.

"I've got it," she said, stepping out of the car, "the thought was sweet though."

I locked the doors and caught a glimpse of Jo, making me shoot Claire a smile before running to him.

"Hey," he greeted, "you left early this morning."

"I went twenty miles out of my way to pick her up," I said, looking over my shoulder. She was now surrounded by her circle of cheerleader friends.

"Why?" He asked, and we began to walk into school.

"Well, she asked me to," I said, "and I wasn't just going to turn her down."

He just laughed, hitching his bag further up on his shoulder. "Whatever. You're ready for the assembly today, yeah?"

"Holy shit, that's today?" I joked.

"You didn't forget," Jo said, "you're fucking with me, you b-"

"I'm joking, bro, relax," I said, chuckling, "you're a little tightly wound."

"Hmm," he muttered, rolling his eyes, "today's important for me."

"Why, because Allison is going to be in the audience?" I asked, scanning my student ID.

He did the same, shaking his head. "We've been over this, I'm very over her and she's very over me."

"Okay, you being over her is one story, but her being over you is a different one."