19

Santiago

I woke up to the sound of Adora vomiting, throwing the covers off of me as I rubbed my eyes. I opened the bathroom door and she was breathing heavily, her hands on either side of the toilet to support her.

"Baby," I muttered, kneeling down beside her. I grabbed her hair before she could puke again and I just looked away, flexing my jaw muscle.

"I'm so sorry I woke you," she said, wiping a tear from her face.

"Baby, why are you crying?" I asked, "it's okay, I promise. You're going to be okay."

She just let out a large exhale, her eyes closing.

"One more time," she said, "I have to get it out of me, my back is killing me from all the puking I've done."

She vomited one last time and just fell on me, making me hold her in my arms in the bathroom floor.

"Maybe you'll be better when you wake up," I reassured, rubbing her hair.

"I can't keep puking up my guts," she said, shaking her head, "I'm not cut out for it."

"I'm scheduling you a doctor's appointment for today," I said, "they can give you medicine-"

"Santiago, I don't like the doctor."

"Well, I don't like the doctor either, but I don't like you being sick, either. You're going."

She just looked up at me, sighing as her head fell against my chest again.

"You can go back to bed," she said.

"You're coming with me," I said, "come on."

I stood up and picked her up, carrying her into the bedroom. I laid her down on the bed and climbed in on my side, covering her up.

"What time is it?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

"It's two A.M.," I answered, "you need to get to sleep, baby."

She scooted close to me and turned her back to me, wrapping her arms around her pillow. "Keep me warm."

I wrapped my arms around her middle from behind, resting my head on top of hers.

As soon as I realized she was asleep, which wasn't long after I'd gotten situated, I snuck out of the bed. I walked out of our bedroom and downstairs into the quiet house.

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed out a glass, pouring myself a glass of whiskey. I leaned against the counter and took a drink, sighing.

I hated when Adora was in any kind of pain. I always wanted to fix it, I always wanted to soothe her.

She deserved a husband that would do that for her, so I was trying my hardest to be that husband that she deserved.

I looked over my shoulder when I heard footsteps, and those footsteps happened to be Jo's.

"Hey," I greeted, "you really shouldn't be up."

"Neither should you," he said, leaning against the counter across from me.

I just sighed, flexing my jaw muscle. "You have school in the morning."

"You have work in the morning."

"Stop," I said, shaking my head, "the reverse-"

"I need your help," he said, "I've kept myself up about it for hours."

I just nodded, placing my glass on the counter.

"I was a total dick to Allison," he said, shaking his head, "I tried denying it, but I can't. She didn't deserve the way I treated her."