48

Santiago

"We're going to try to keep you as comfortable as possible," the nurse said, making Adora nod and squeeze my hand.

I pressed a kiss to her head, resting my forehead against hers.

"We're going to check to see how many centimeters you're dilated, okay?"

She nodded, letting out a breath.

"You're three, you've still got a way's to go," the nurse said, nodding.

"Oh, my God," Adora breathed out, squeezing her eyes shut as she looked up at the ceiling.

"Is she in pain?" I asked, "a-are you hurting her?"

"I'm fine, Santiago," she said, squeezing my hand yet again.

I looked at the nurse and she nodded. "We're going to try to give her an epidural. She might end up needing a C-Section last minute, but we're going to try our hardest to stick to the epidural."

I just nodded. "So that's going to help with pain, right?"

"It will," she said, nodding, "her back won't be taking the load, like it would be otherwise."

"N-no, her back hasn't been the problem," I said, "it's been her pelvis, can you fix that?"

The nurse just sighed. "The pelvic region hurts during childbirth, that's a known fact-"

"Okay, well I'm telling you to try to fix it," I said, "I'm not asking anymore."

Adora grabbed my hand, shooting me a warning glance. "Santiago."

I just let out a sigh and looked back at the nurse. "Just try to help her."

My phone vibrated and I pulled it out of my pocket.

[From: Ma]
We're pulling up now. Are we allowed in the room?

"Hey, can Mom and Dad come in?" I asked, rubbing her hair as I looked down at her.

She nodded. "Please."

[To: Ma]
Yes she asked for you guys. Come on

I tucked my phone away in my pocket and sighed, looking down at her.

"Hey," I said, "it's all going to work out, okay?"

She nodded, closing her eyes. "I know."

I looked over at the nurse on the other side of the room, who was inputting something into the computer.

"So is there any way she can rest, or something, while she's waiting to be to ten centimeters?" I asked.

"Yeah," the nurse answered, "the epidural will make her drowsy. If she falls asleep or not will be her decision, mostly, but she will have the opportunity to rest."

The door flew open and Mom and Dad busted in.

I wrapped my arms around Dad's neck and Mom went straight to Adora.

"How are you holding up?" Dad asked, grabbing the back of my neck.

I just flexed my jaw muscle and gulped, nodding. "She's the one in all the pain."

"She won't be able to accept visitors much longer, even if it's close family," the nurse said, "the husband can stay, but if she's resting, we'd appreciate if you were outside for a little bit."

"I know Jo's going to want to see you. I'll tell him to get out of practice early so he can see you."

Adora just nodded.